Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Height - Getting vantage point

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

One of the problems I have found is when in crowded situations, trying to get a decent vantage point to take a photograph. I am 5' 9" tall, so not massive. I have noted that professionals sometimes carry steps, but wondered if anyone had any tips as to how to get that picture through the crowd, but not having to carry something really cumbersome?

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

depending on how much higher you want to go get the ol Tippy toes into action with the arms stretched out it should make you atleast 3 foot above the action, or if you really want the height use your surroundings either a ledge etc or a mono pod and a remote shutter release, but take a few shots incase your shot angle is a bit out!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Thats a great little tip about the monopod and the remote. I'm defo going to try that out.

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

This is where the articulating screen on the D5100/D5200 is very handy with live view. Tip the screen so you can see it when holding the camera over your head.

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag

A tilting screen does come in handy if your camera is fitted with one as long as glare is not an issue just make sure your settings are on par before you lift your camera up as you will obviously be unable to change this once the camera is in the air

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

With live view but no tilt screen, you could have an assistant stand a little way in front of you with the camera on monopod, and direct them while you watch the screen and press the remote release at the appropriate time.

Chris

rockjedi

rockjedi

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Country Flag
I'd agree with the monopod action. I do climbing photography and we use window washing rods for up to 3-4 extra meters of height with a remote shutter. Will be a little too extreme I'm guessing for your street shots but en again I could have suggested abseiling from the rooftops till you get your height.

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

Oh the other thing I forgot to mention is that I have been known to scale the side of buildings before to get a shot. My wife has sort of gotten used to it. But do this at your own risk. Hanging onto brick outcroppings with one hand and then getting the shot with the other hand is not for the faint of heart. I have climbed up trees and on top of kids play equipment too. At 52 that is a bit of a feat in itself. I would not recommend asking your wife if she would let you climb on her shoulders though. LOL

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag

Playground equipment is a no no for me haha, Too many broken bones in my childhood stopped that career :(

for now ill just stick to terra firma with the tripod and maybe some stairs :) or just tackling everyone down till I get the shot I want hehe :)