Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon announces AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G

58mm 1.4g

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

Nikon officially announced a new 58mm 1.4G lens tonight.

The American cost is listed at $1699.95.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lenses | Nikon

2210_AF-S_58mm_f1_4G_front.png

Looks like an interesting new bit of glass, I'm eager to see some test shot on the D800.

Cheers

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Looks like they spilled the beans a bit early.  This wasn't supposed to go live until 3am EST!

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

Looks like they spilled the beans a bit early.  This wasn't supposed to go live until 3am EST!

Yup, saw it on their facebook page about a hour ago:

372919_6811664619_1257554994_q.jpg

We’re excited to announce two new additions to the Nikon product line – the Nikon D5300 D-SLR and AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens! The 24.2 megapixel Nikon D5300 is Nikon’s first D-SLR with built in Wi Fi and GPS, letting you create and share stunning images from anywhere! It also features a Vari-Angle LCD and Full HD video capability to help you capture memories and moments in astounding clarity. Read more here:Nikon D5300 - Black Digital SLR Cameras | Nikon.
Also, announcing the fast, sharp and powerful AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G prime lens, ideal for portraits and low-light photos: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lenses | Nikon

Feel free to delete this and the D5300 thread I created if you have an official thread you want to post Adam, no problem on my side :)

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Yup, saw it on their facebook page about a hour ago:

372919_6811664619_1257554994_q.jpg

We’re excited to announce two new additions to the Nikon product line – the Nikon D5300 D-SLR and AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens! The 24.2 megapixel Nikon D5300 is Nikon’s first D-SLR with built in Wi Fi and GPS, letting you create and share stunning images from anywhere! It also features a Vari-Angle LCD and Full HD video capability to help you capture memories and moments in astounding clarity. Read more here:Nikon D5300 - Black Digital SLR Cameras | Nikon.
Also, announcing the fast, sharp and powerful AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G prime lens, ideal for portraits and low-light photos: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lenses | Nikon

Feel free to delete this and the D5300 thread I created if you have an official thread you want to post Adam, no problem on my side :)

No worries- the official news will go up on our homepage, so this thread is fine.

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

Looks like this is aimed at DX cameras the equivelent film being 87mm

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

I think this is actually meant to be a poor man's Nocti, and an answer to the Otus.

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

Well...it's not exactly priced for the poor man...

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag
You should see how much the original version goes for.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I think this is actually meant to be a poor man's Nocti, and an answer to the Otus.

Yes, in the press release Nikon specifically states that it's designed for night shooting.

A low-light powerhouse that shines in nearly any situation.
Go beyond the ordinary with the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G, a lens designed to excel in low-light and nighttime applications but
with characteristics you’ll enjoy for so much more. Its fast f/1.4 maximum aperture produces outstanding evenly lit images with
edge-to-edge sharpness—virtually no sagittal coma or light falloff. Its unique design and rounded 9-blade diaphragm produce
stunning bokeh and depth of field control from f/1.4 to infinity—equally useful in daytime portraits and nighttime cityscapes.
Whether you’re shooting photos or HD video, FX or DX-format, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G offers thrilling new capabilities
and inspiration.

Outstanding low-light photos and videos
Virtually no sagittal coma flare or light falloff

When shooting photos or video in low light—especially at night—you often want your lens aperture wide open. With many
lenses, though, shooting at maximum aperture can cause a slight distortion at the edge of your frame—points of light render
as diamond-shaped flares. The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G is specially designed to combat this distortion while providing even
brightness across the frame. Capture sharp, evenly lit photos and videos, edge to edge.

Natural depth of field, beautiful bokeh
9 rounded-blade aperture for excellent bokeh control

The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G adds a dramatic sense of depth to your compositions—both at short distances as well as longdistance
landscapes. When shooting stills of a close subject, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G can achieve beautiful bokeh with
soft, natural edges that diminishes smoothly away from your focal point. When recording HD video, use these outstanding bokeh
characteristics for interesting smooth focusing transitions and drawing attention to your subject.

Flattering, versatile perspective
Versatile 58mm focal length

Paying homage to the acclaimed Noct Nikkor 58mm f/1.2, the 58mm focal length falls in the sweet spot between a standard
lens (50mm) and a medium telephoto lens (85mm). On an FX-format D-SLR, it offers a natural perspective with just enough
telephoto characteristic to exaggerate depth of field. On a DX-format D-SLR, its 87mm equivalent perspective is ideal for portraits
and other medium telephoto uses.

DCB

DCB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationFL

I wonder why no 1.2? The price is high enough...about the same price as the Canon 50mm 1.2.

Peace

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

Maybe they wanted to make it really sharp wide open and chosen to make the max aperture a bit slower.

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

In my opinion get the 50mm 1.8G and save $1400 just have to walk that two steps closer to your subject!

As for being aimed at DX users, i don't personally se someone saving money and buying a cropped sensor camera (if they have not got one yet) to shelve so much money on this lens.

Aperture of 1.4 so what if they are recommending this lens as perfect for night photos the difference between 1.4 and a 1.8 aperture lens is pure sales talk. Pump up the iso or lengthen exposure time! i can only imagine a night shot at 1.4 how small the depth of field would be anyway it would be absolutely useless!

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag
The reason it is so expensive is the coma and falloff control. It's really for astro-photography. You can't replace this with your average lens. The original goes for over 3k. This is something special, but it's not for me.

greatscott94

greatscott94

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Site Supporter

The reason it is so expensive is the coma and falloff control. It's really for astro-photography. You can't replace this with your average lens. The original goes for over 3k. This is something special, but it's not for me.

Interesting. Thanks.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

The original was f1.2.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

The original was f1.2.

Hence the bargain price of this version  ;).

This lens is sharp wide open, across the frame.  To get similar control of aberrations and falloff you'd have to stop down a regular lens quite a bit.  At that point you lose the aperture advantage.  It's worth the money for those that need it, even if it's a paltry F/1.4 :).

bossa

bossa

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

The Night shot from the official samples shows triangular point sources for street lights and they aren't greatly corrected for coma in my view and, to be honest, my DA*55 seems as good or better. There's also a lot of blue halos around most of the lights in the scene.

The portraits are also not that sharp at f/2 when viewed at 100%. I'd prefer to try one on my D800e rather than take anyone's word that this is a great lens.

Hence the bargain price of this version  ;).

This lens is sharp wide open, across the frame.  To get similar control of aberrations and falloff you'd have to stop down a regular lens quite a bit.  At that point you lose the aperture advantage.  It's worth the money for those that need it, even if it's a paltry F/1.4 :).

The MTF graph shows great astigmatism control and great contrast (red) but resolution (green) is not all that great but is corrected well for astigmatism.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

The Night shot from the official samples shows triangular point sources for street lights and they aren't greatly corrected for coma in my view and, to be honest, my DA*55 seems as good or better. There's also a lot of blue halos around most of the lights in the scene.

The portraits are also not that sharp at f/2 when viewed at 100%. I'd prefer to try one on my D800e rather than take anyone's word that this is a great lens.

The MTF graph shows great astigmatism control and great contrast (red) but resolution (green) is not all that great but is corrected well for astigmatism.

It isn't the sharpest lens, but it is likely at its sharpest wide open, like the original.  Most wide aperture lenses, even if sharp, are usually soft on the borders, wide open.  This one should be relatively the same across the frame, of course we'll have to see the real lens in action.  I'd never buy this, or the original, because what they offer doesn't interest me.  This lens won't go toe to toe sharp with a stopped down lens of good quality, but set it at f1.4, stick it on a tripod, point it at the sky and set it to infinity.  That's what it's for.  

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Ye if could spend that much on a lens I would own a D4!! Not the D7000. Lol! Nice lens though.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Ye if could spend that much on a lens I would own a D4!! Not the D7000. Lol! Nice lens though.

Yep... I don't know what to think about that lens. I know it's a specialty lens build for low light / astrophotography and such but really.... $1700?

Good 50mm f1.4's go for $350. I'd love to see a side-by-side of the Nikon 57mm vs. the Sigma 50mm. I can't imagine that the $1300 cost differential would be justified by 98% of us.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 58mm, 1.4g