Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cleaning Image Sensor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

How many here clean their own image sensor? I have about six spots that I need to get rid of. I use the air blaster but these need greater attention as the blaster does not seem to touch them. These spots are the same no matter the lens so I know they are on the sensor.

Reading my manual it says only an Authorized Nikon Dealer can do it or the warranty is void. With Nikon that is a three week process. But I am not sure I want to tackle this task yet. Do some of you take your camera to a local camera shop to clean so you can get back almost the same day you drop it off?

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I saw this the other day.  If you're feeling adventurous - DIY.

Camera Sensor Cleaning Simplified! l Jansen Photo Expeditions

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I saw this the other day. If you're feeling adventurous - DIY.

Camera Sensor Cleaning Simplified! l Jansen Photo Expeditions

Yes many of them type of videos on YouTube also. I think I just need to bite the bullet and get the stuff to do it.

Not sure what size swab to buy. I think my sensor is 23.5 x 15.6 mm.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Here is what you need: https://www.bhphotov...a_Solution.html and https://www.bhphotov..._6x_Sensor.html  if you want to use the Visible Dust system. The DX swabs are for both APS-C and DX sensors. The blue solution handles both oil and water contamination and works well with the green swabs.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

use the Visible Dust system.

Peter... do you like this over the Photographic Solutions stuff, and if so why?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Several years ago my favorite photo shop in my area closed down unexpectedly.  Once or twice a year they would have an advertised cleaning day which included sensor cleaning.  They charged for the sensor cleaning but did general check and cleaning for free - and all while you waited.  They would do it any time but those days it was while you wait and less expensive...  

After they closed down, I bought my own cleaning setup and have done it myself.  It isn't hard even though it scares me every time!  I definitely don't do it unless I have to :)!  I probably should, but I don't!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Peter... do you like this over the Photographic Solutions stuff, and if so why?

They are very similar in use and I have used both with good results. I am more familiar with the Visible Dust system today as that is what the local store has in stock. The sensor swabs don't work too well with the other solution as the evaporation rate differs a bit so one of the combinations can streak, I don't remember which. The important thing is to get one system and keep to that.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Here is what you need: https://www.bhphotov...a_Solution.html and https://www.bhphotov..._6x_Sensor.html if you want to use the Visible Dust system. The DX swabs are for both APS-C and DX sensors. The blue solution handles both oil and water contamination and works well with the green swabs.

I ended up buying this last night out of haste. :( I am to get it tomorrow as I wanted something before Sunday. If for any reason I shouldn’t please tell me and I won’t use it. I can return at no cost and order as per your post. Recommended by a YouTube video.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I haven't heard anything negative about this system, so go ahead and use it. As long as the solution and swabs are made for each other and tested together, which system you use is a matter of taste.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I haven't heard anything negative about this system, so go ahead and use it. As long as the solution and swabs are made for each other and tested together, which system you use is a matter of taste.

I will use but will switch to your system. I just have some really bad spots that I have to get rid of.

Thank you much for your help

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
I know the distributor of a cleaning kit in the uk, but I can't recall the name of it!

He told me to do my sensor clean in the bathroom, after running the shower cold for a few minutes. This is to reduce any airborne dust in the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro