Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Auto Focus settings on D600

auto focus autofocus d600 nikon settings troubleshooting manualfocus sharp help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

inaflashphotography

inaflashphotography

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York

I just bought the Nikon D600, my first FX camera body. I paired with it my Nikon 50mm 1.8G lens, which I was using on my old D3300. I am still new to the camera, and am trying to figure out the best focus settings! I just can't seem to get the best results..there are so many different ways to mess with the auto focus on the D600.. any suggestions on your settings would be awesome! Thank you!! I've upload an image with the sharpness being really good in my opinion, (the girl) and the one of it not so good.. (the little boy)

Attached Thumbnails

• Adalyn_1.jpg
  • Michaela _6.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A good starting point for most situations is to move the focus actuation to the rear button, set the AF mode to continuous (AF-C) and use either single-point or one of the dynamic settings. In addition to this, I like to have exposure lock on shutter half-press. You will have to experiment to find out what AF point setting works best for you in different situations.

The one thing to avoid is to focus and recompose at anything close to near distance as you *will* move the plane of focus as you swing the camera into place for the recomposed shot.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

The focus for the little boy is on the toy not the boy so it is sharper,the little girl image is a lovely capture but on my screen the eyes do not look sharp,i think the problem could be your chosen focus point.

What program do you download into and does it show the focus point to be in the correct place.

While i dont think its the problem you could check for back/front focus with the new combination.

inaflashphotography

inaflashphotography

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York

A good starting point for most situations is to move the focus actuation to the rear button, set the AF mode to continuous (AF-C) and use either single-point or one of the dynamic settings. In addition to this, I like to have exposure lock on shutter half-press. You will have to experiment to find out what AF point setting works best for you in different situations.

The one thing to avoid is to focus and recompose at anything close to near distance as you *will* move the plane of focus as you swing the camera into place for the recomposed shot.

How do I put it into rear focus? Thanks for your suggestions! I will definitely try them out today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It is somewhere in the custom settings tab, probably the a, e or f section. I don't have a manual handy to check exactly where. What you want to do is assign the focus start to the ae-l/af-l button.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have checked it now and it is custom setting f4 that assigns a function to the AE-L/AF-L button. It should be set to AF-ON for back button focussing. The AE lock on half-press is under c1.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Peter has (as usual), nailed it.  Focus looks fine on both, but not necessarily where you want on either...for shots like those you want to be sure your focus is on their face / eyes vs. anywhere else...looks like you were shooting pretty wide open in both images...

inaflashphotography

inaflashphotography

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York
I tried my first shoot with new suggested settings. I'll upload new photos!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Did you like the new way of working with the camera?

inaflashphotography

inaflashphotography

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York

Did you like the new way of working with the camera?

Yes! My images are so sharp now.
9a2b88fe8d042285369acee43757b901.jpg54260d78a6fa9b95af542a83b9f828fa.jpg74645141927d3552595e51cf22e5c13c.jpgf27dd1325d0a7571380731ca721826d8.jpg514a8cec3cb3c159cec4c5946537f590.jpg

Here are images from my last shoot with new focus settings 80378d7261f79db062da4f18989a19a6.jpg304bcc8b442d6f2e81d2757f62cde349.jpg312094f621845ff86073a26c84ee63ed.jpgc7a120d9c0f1194063301683ad575f1b.jpg0dda312acbc92f1c59d65e8e4d4f0fe0.jpg3d9b8d6719e19b4d000fda72997d996b.jpga6c857a2a10cf8c4a82d473a25c83e98.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: auto, focus, autofocus, d600, nikon, settings, troubleshooting, manualfocus, sharp, help