Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Diagnosing Slow Shutter Speed

shutter speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

djmaccrea

djmaccrea

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello,

I am a intermediate hobbyist photographer, albeit a dull witted one, and am having issues with my Nikon d7000 and Nikkor 18-300mm lens.  It seems to me that either the camera or lens are not achieving a sufficiently fast shutter speed given the conditions of light, aperture, and ISO.  For example, right now in mid afternoon sunlight in aperture priority mode with ISO set to 100 and aperture wide open at 3.5 the shutter speed is only 1/80 sec.  Doesn't that seem terribly low for excellent light and a wide open aperture?!  I know the ISO is low but it is the middle of the day.  Is there something I am forgetting here that could remedy this or am I expecting to much for this camera/lens?  I'd like it to at least perform adequately enough that I don't have to use a tripod for anything just shy of perfectly bright lighting.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

How does the photo you get look? Could you post a sample SOOC except for downsizing for the web with the EXIF intact? Is it overexposed or does it look right? Are you at 18 mm or a longer focal length? What metering mode are you in? Do you have any exposure compensation set?

djmaccrea

djmaccrea

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

It looks fine to me, neither under nor over exposed.  I've attached a photo I just took now so it was a bit darker out (nearly 7:00 here in New York).  It was taken at 18 mm in evaluative metering mode with no exposure compensation.  I took this one supported at an aperture of 3.5, ISO 100, and it took a 1.3" shutter in aperture priority.  Any thoughts on why that is so long?  I would have thought, even with the ISO set to 100 that I could get a faster shutter than that.

Thanks again

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1207.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Do you have a filter attached to the lens? In that case, what filter? It shouldn't vignette that much. The EXIF is stripped for some reason, which makes it difficult to see if there is some strange camera setting going on.

djmaccrea

djmaccrea

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, I had a UV and Polarizer filter attached for that last shot, that should explain the vignette.  I've attached another taken just now.  This time no filters and hopefully the EXIF data comes through.  Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1208.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

No EXIF. Did you use Save for web? This will strip the EXIF. Otherwise it might be the forum software that strips it. If it is the forum software, you might try either uploading it to your gallery space and linking it here or put it on Dropbox or similar and paste the share link in a post here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shutter speed