Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 24 September 2017

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 24 September 2017, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. The editing exercises are taking a break at the moment, but feel free to play around in the old exercises. 

P.P.S. Peter is running a fun single lens challenge that we are all invited to participate in. Look for the "One week, one camera, one lens" challenge.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I will throw one in from my phone and hope to throw in something else later this week...

We were blessed with a full house this past weekend.  Both our sons were home along with their girlfriends.  In addition to the people, we had six dogs sharing the house and yard.  We were sitting on the porch getting ready to start watching some football when three of the dogs decided to "share" a stick...

IMG_5322.jpg

Hopefully I will get the chance to get out some of my gear and take some more photos this week.  If so, I will be sure to share something more!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Tom, that's hilarious! I hope no violence broke out. :) 

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Ron, all that was needed was a small dog to fill out the  frame.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I think we got small (left, French Bulldog), medium (right, Australian Shepherd), and large (center, Great Dane) pretty well covered...OK...maybe Dane qualifies as Extra Large once he's full grown so maybe we would need to eventually try to add a large and maybe a mini / toy...but no, no plans to add to the craziness...

Nicole, absolutely no dogs were harmed in creating this photo :)!  The stick did not fare quite as well...The Aussie is our youngest son's and the other two are our oldest son's.  Our two and the girlfriend's dog were elsewhere at the time.  

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

My best one for this week.  A Sunrise at a local sub-division, taken with my Tokina 17-35 f4, and D750.  I particularly liked the trees reflected in the lake.  Taken at 6AM, Shutter priority, 23mm, 1/125 @ f18, iso 400

Attached Thumbnails

• Sunrise at Cobblestone Farms.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

deano, that's lovely! Yes, the reflection is especially appealing but I like the colors and symmetry as well. 

Nicole, absolutely no dogs were harmed in creating this photo :)!  The stick did not fare quite as well... 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Thanks for the giggle!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I keep on trying to develop a style that is more than just documentation of botanicals. Using selective focus with a 35 isn't the easiest.

gallery_1251_617_13940.jpg

Model: NIKON D700
Lens (mm): 35 AF-S Nikkor 35/1.8 ED)
ISO: 200
Aperture: 1.8
Shutter: 1/320

Picture Control: D2X Mode 2

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

We celebrated a 17th birthday for one of the grandkids at our house last night.  I really like my new (to me) 85mm lens, but I need a lot more practice.  Family photos are difficult - I always find items that I would have liked to remove, arms or hands in the shot, distracting bright spots from windows or lights in another room, and I frequently miss framing the composition the way I would have liked.  Here's a good example.  Glasses and other items on the table, bright lamp in the next room, and I should have had her a little more to the left with more of her brother in the frame.

36605013123_44d7d18c42_b.jpg

Jocelyn by Mark, on Flickr

D810, 85mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8, 1/125", ISO 1250

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I like the light on her face, very natural to me.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Taken with Pentax k100D Super body and Takumar F 70~210mm Lens.

1/125s, F/8, ISO 200, Manual Exposure Mode, Focal Length 210mm, no flash

and used Pattern Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

TT

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP6583.JPG

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I'm going to bend the rules and submit one from late yesterday since it won't qualify for this week.

37252064186_fe32c04400_b.jpg

Shenandoah sunset by Mark, on Flickr

D810, Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 @ 24mm, f/11, 1/125" ISO 64, natural light

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I really like my new (to me) 85mm lens, but I need a lot more practice. 

How about participating in my One week... challenge? You don't have to shoot daily if you don't want to, but showing us more of where you live might be fun as well as getting to know your new lens better.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

How about participating in my One week... challenge? You don't have to shoot daily if you don't want to, but showing us more of where you live might be fun as well as getting to know your new lens better.

I always follow those but haven't participated mainly because I only have one camera and a few lenses, only two of which are primes.  I've read in other places that this is a recommended exercise and can help a photographer improve.  I don't doubt that, but it seems like an exercise for people who have a much larger array of equipment.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You don't have to have a lot of gear for this exercise to be beneficial. I think Dogbytes has three primes, one zoom and one body, for example.

A nice twist is to shoot a zoom lens locked to one focal length with a piece of vinyl tape for a week. It is a good way to find out if you want that focal length as a prime or if something else would suit you and your style better.

I use lots of different lenses from different eras in Nikon's history, but my style is very much about primes and the subtle differences in how they draw.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

As much as I'd like to be out with the camera every day, that's not going to happen.  I'll give it a go for this week and at least show you more mundane photos of where I live.  :)

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Some excellent captures here this week!

I am sharing one which is not my best of the week from a technical point of view, but which I quite like. The capture is SOOC, but probably I'll gie it some processing when time allows so.

I call it "cat in the hat"

ae610b2b54c76f99e1e452bde79fe637.jpg
D500 Tamron 70-200/2.8 200mm f4 1/320@ISO200

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Peter - really love your shot above!  Very dramatic!  All great images this week!

I have to add one more shot from last Sunday...SOOP (Straight Out Of Phone)...

IMG_0022 (1).JPG

Sunday, Maria reached out and provided us a beautiful sunset.  We went from dull sky to beautiful sunset to its over in about 10 minutes with different parts of the clouds highlighted in shades of pink at different times...

If you look closely, you will see a smaller, lower dock on the right hand side of the main dock.  It is used for canoes or kayaks, but in the image it is under a few inches of water.  It is normally 6" to 12" above the water.  The light winds we were getting from the edge of Maria were pushing the waters towards us, thus the slight rise in water level.