Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking to upgrade, need some input

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DrRockzo

DrRockzo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I am new to the forums and I got interested in photography some time ago and I want to take it to the next level :)

I use an old d40 which my wife originally got back in 2008 sometime.

What I dislike about the d40:

-ISO performance is pretty bad in my opinion. Very grainy at higher levels, especially at low light

-Menu navigation instead of physical buttons

-Only 3 focus points

-6 MP is a bit low

I currently got the following lenses:

DX 18-105 mm 3.5 - 5.6 VR

DX 35 mm 1.8

I mostly use the 35/1.8F. I mainly shoot family photos, portraits, parties/events and some landscapes. Also looking into nighttime photography.

As of now I shoot for my own pleasure, but if I ever get good enough I'm considering the option of making a buck as well by selling stock photos or work for hire.

I have considered the following models:

d5300

d5600

d7200

d750

What I like about the 5-series is the attractive price, but is it good enough or should I skip and go straight for 7-series or even full format?

What I value:

+Excellent image quality

+Good ISO performance for low light shootings

+Physical buttons and displays for common parameters such as ISO, WB etc. (Navigating the d40 menu is a bit of a pain in the ass)

+Wireless connection to my android phone for remote shooting and image transfer

+Mobility, I don't have a dedicated studio setup

I am also looking for a good portrait lens, now most people from what I've heard say around 70 mm is a good portrait focal length. So what would be best, a 50 mm dx prime lens, a zoom 50+- dx lens or a fx lens?

Ok that's a lot of thoughts, I could use some guidance :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In your place, I would go for a D7200 for two reasons.

• The user interface is much better and more customizable.
  • The AF is about equal to the ISO performance at low light levels.

The reasons for not going FF this time are that you have a nice normal zoom and a good normal prime that won't work on FX

For a nice portrait lens on DX, look at the 50-s but don't miss checking out the 60 MicroNikkor and the 85-s as well. Fast zooms tend to intimidate your subjects as the 77 mm or larger front element is far from discreet.

Where in Sweden do you live? Some dealers have lenses for rent locally so you don't have to pay freight and insurance if you need to rent something to try how it works for *you*.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I keep banging on about this :D  but i agree with Merco and would add the 7 series gives you the facility to fine tune the camera body AF to individual lenses if needed,so my vote goes for the D7200.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I upgraded from the D90 (DX) to the D750 (FF), couldn't be happier.  I did have to buy some better lens though to accommodate the better quality camera.  Tamron makes some lens that are almost as good as the Nikon lens for a lot less money.  Shop around, and what you like, and rent it for a weekend.  I did this and it really helped in my decision making.

DrRockzo

DrRockzo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for your replies :) 

In your place, I would go for a D7200 for two reasons.

• The user interface is much better and more customizable.
  • The AF is about equal to the ISO performance at low light levels.

The reasons for not going FF this time are that you have a nice normal zoom and a good normal prime that won't work on FX

For a nice portrait lens on DX, look at the 50-s but don't miss checking out the 60 MicroNikkor and the 85-s as well. Fast zooms tend to intimidate your subjects as the 77 mm or larger front element is far from discreet.

Where in Sweden do you live? Some dealers have lenses for rent locally so you don't have to pay freight and insurance if you need to rent something to try how it works for *you*.

Örebro :)

I keep banging on about this :D  but i agree with Merco and would add the 7 series gives you the facility to fine tune the camera body AF to individual lenses if needed,so my vote goes for the D7200.

I upgraded from the D90 (DX) to the D750 (FF), couldn't be happier.  I did have to buy some better lens though to accommodate the better quality camera.  Tamron makes some lens that are almost as good as the Nikon lens for a lot less money.  Shop around, and what you like, and rent it for a weekend.  I did this and it really helped in my decision making.

I'm leaning towards the 7200, the price increase for the d750 + new lenses is staggering, I'm not sure the increase in quality is that much better to justify it for my needs (I don't do large prints for eg.)?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Thank you for your replies :)

Örebro :)

I'm leaning towards the 7200, the price increase for the d750 + new lenses is staggering, I'm not sure the increase in quality is that much better to justify it for my needs (I don't do large prints for eg.)?

Örebro is nice for doing photography, but I suspect you have to travel a bit to find a store that has equipment in stock or for rent.

We should perhaps explain to our friends in the US that the difference between DX and FX is larger than in bigger markets as the margin needs to be larger on slow-moving stock.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Makes sense to me...I keep thinking D500 with the list of requirements but that may be just me wanting to buy one :)!  The lenses would work with it though...