Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's a secure way to archive photos?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

What methods do you use to protect your photos from corruption? As for me I am keeping my photos on computers hard drive and I'm copying them on external hard drive. I don't think that it is the best way. 

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

What methods do you use to protect your photos from corruption? As for me I am keeping my photos on computers hard drive and I'm copying them on external hard drive. I don't think that it is the best way. 

A ruggedized portable 1Tb drive is a very secure method of storage.  Using optical discs (i.e. DVDs) would be even less volatile as long as you don't get them scratced.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Gold archival DVD-Rs are supposed to last 100 years. Be careful of cheap DVDrs that are just called "gold" but that is just their name and they are neither archival nor gold colored. I use Verbatim Archival Grade DVDs that don't even say "gold" anywhere on the packaging, but are actually gold surfaced when you look at them.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

same here stas, one lot on pc, one lot on external hard drive

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

As I know inside of external HDD is the simple internal HDD. That is mean that external HDD has the same problems and the same weaknesses. In the same time external HDD is more exposed to the vibration influence (because it is not fixed inside computer) and with external HDD risk of being struck became much more real. 

About DVD. I don't want to use after one story, that happends with me. I wrote some information on good DVD (I don't know what is gold DVD, but at those time it was the best what I could found) and put them in boxes. I didn't touch them for 2 years, really didn't touch. And than when try to use them 2 of 5 disks where corrupted and I couldn't read them.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Always double check that the files are there immediately after burning a DVD.  You'll find the problem is usually with your burner or software rather than anything with the DVD.  I've had music CDs I've tried to burn where iTunes looks like it burned it, took the usual amount of time, made the usual noises, but then I check the disc and there's nothing on it.  Once files are confirmed to be on there, I have never heard of it later being corrupt.

DCB

DCB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationFL

Internal HD and external HD.

Peace

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Has anyone found a good virtual or "cloud" type storage system?

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I back all mine up on to my internal hard drive, duplicate into a virtual disc image on an external drive and hen back that up onto DVDs ! A bit over the top maybe but I had a hard drive disaster a few months back and lost over 5000 images!

Cloud storage type websites can be a good place but the problem I have found with them is that you only get a small amount of storage for free, anything substantial could cost quite a bit in monthly fees.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I thought about cloud but it is or too expensive, or not enough space. I know that some guys use 3 drives to make copyes. And another question how many space on drive takes your archive?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Capture2.JPG

Yeah, I'm one of those guys with multiple redundant backups. Nearly 75,000 image files spanning 0.5TB of space you have to have LOTS of options  LOL

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia
For cloud storage check out drivepop.com It gives you unlimited space for something like 30 bucks per year. I use it and am happy with it.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

to  BeerBelly

Wow! That's just great! And how long are you using this service? There was no any problems with them?

to Afterimage

My arcive has takes the same place. Maybe little less. I bought an external hdd for 2 tb to keep it)

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia
I've been using them for about 3 months now. Not just for photos but work as well. So all changes to work projects get saved as well. They have versioning of files as well...so far...no complaints.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Really cool. I will read about them at home, maybe even will register) Thank you very much, for a great information.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the information!

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia
Glad to help. I looked everywhere for cloud backups and unlimited usually runs around $100 pee year so this was a pleasant surprise...

Erewego

Erewego

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUK (Somewhere in the middle)

I'm backing up to a separate PC and external HDD.

Really important stuff goes on DVD too ....... and kept in a dark draw !

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

What is it dark draw?

Erewego

Erewego

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip