Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 17 September 2017

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 17 September 2017, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. The editing exercises are taking a break for the summer, but feel free to play around in the old exercises. 

P.P.S. Peter is running a fun single lens challenge that we are all invited to participate in. 

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

Great Blue Heron Headshot:  Nikon d7500, Nikkor 70-200mm, 200mm, ISO 50; f2.8; 1/80 sec

Roosting Turkey Vulture: Nikon d7500, Nikkor 70-200mm, 200mm; ISO 50; f2.8; 1/1000 sec

Sunset:  Nikon d7500, Nikkor 35mm, ISO 64; f1.8; 1/15 sec

Cell Tower:   Nikon d7500, Nikkor 35mm, ISO 100; f1.8; 5 seconds

Attached Thumbnails

• Heron Headshot, Arthur R Mashall Refuge-1.jpg
  • Turkey Vulture, Arthur R Mashall-1.jpg
  • Sunset II,  Arthur R Mashall Refuge-1.jpg
  • Cell Tower, Arthur R Mashall Refuge-1.jpg

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Taken with Canon EOS Rebel t5 body and Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS II Lens.

1/125s, F/8,  ISO 100, Focal Length 109mm, Manual Exposure Program, no flash and Pattern Metering.

Thanks for viewing.  With the exception of downsizing, this photo is straight out of camera.

TT

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2031.JPG

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thank you very much.

TT

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Taken about 30 minutes after sunset:

37129253001_037d79e444_b.jpg

big dipper by Mark, on Flickr

D810, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 @ 24mm, f/2.8, 20", ISO 100

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

gallery_1251_413_908092.jpg

Model: NIKON D700
Lens (mm): 105
ISO: 200
Aperture: 5
Shutter: 1/400
Exp. Comp.: +0.7

Pseudo-HDR and tonemapping done with Photomatix 5.

This capture was quite bland SOOC.

gallery_1251_413_339480.jpg

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStraddling the border b/w Wisdom and Infirmity

Stepped outside Saturday morning. Fog was beautiful rising in front of the barn on property next to us. Grabbed my camera, which immediately fogged up in the humidity. Used cell phone and a little post processing and voila! 

36469661024_9e99d96281_b.jpg20170916_071920 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Really nice work this week from you all. I've been busy, but this weekend I think I shot my last wedding of the year (unless someone surprises me, which has happened in the past), so maybe I'll get to do more of what I want, eh? After all the post-processing of course...heh.

bill10385, those are great shots, but I especially love the birds. Nice light on that turkey vulture. I see you were using a 70-200 for those--did you have to crop at all? They look remarkable if you did.

Tony, that's lovely--I can't believe that's SOOC! Almost thou persuadest me to be a Canon shooter... 

Mark, you know I love the night shots, so I really appreciate this photo--nice work! I love how clearly you can see the big dipper. The blue hour is such an attractive time to shoot. Well done.

Peter, thanks for the before and after. Wow--what a difference good post-processing makes! That pseudo HDR is definitely eye-catching. I haven't tried Photomatix--are you using it quite regularly?

Chris, I love the atmospheric quality of this photo. I can never seem to capture fog well, so I'm a bit envious. (Not that we have much of it around here.) Black and white seems like a perfect choice for this photo. 

So my husband and I bought a drone for our anniversary this year. :) Autel Robotics, if you're curious. It's a pretty good little machine, and the camera is surprisingly good. It shoots RAW, eh? We've been a bit slow getting to know it, but yesterday we took it out to the southern end of the Great Salt Lake to try to do a little bit more than we have been. Here are a couple of still shots I caught with it:

36919420030_a54c44ff10_h.jpgGreat Salt Lake, drone shot by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr 

37174335281_85619d6945_h.jpgSmile at the drone by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Heh...I hope you can see the smiley face. That's my husband's work of art there in the sand.

And I did take the D810 out to the lake for a little fun too. 

36919420800_c322166a12_b.jpgGreat Salt Lake shore by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

It's super hazy out here right now because of all the wildfires out this way. I know Chris and bill10385 have just been through hurricanes, so some of you have had some pretty big disasters to deal with. Somehow with all the attention on the hurricanes, not many people have noticed that it seems like the entire state of Montana has burned down. It's been a rough summer for lots of people. And I'm just talking the U.S. of course--lots more going on elsewhere!! Anyway, Chris and Bill--hope you guys have come through everything ok. Based on what I'm seeing in other threads, it sounds like you have. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nicole, I like Photomatix and use it quite a bit as it is easier to avoid the computer-game look than many other HDR processors give. It integrates well with a Photo Mechanic workflow as it is possible to send either a set or a single frame to Photomatix from the browser window in PM without converting them to .tif as an intermediate step..

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

Nicole:  

Thank you for the kind words.  

The turkey vulture SOOC was tilted to the left a bit so I fixed the orientation in LR.  As a result of the straightening I did need to crop the top right portion of the image, but it was very slight.  The tower was north of me and the sun was setting to the west (left) so the natural light was really quite good. I increased the temp in the image just slightly to reflect more of what I saw.    I got lucky the bird was curious enough about what I was doing to look back at me.   I realize a turkey vulture is not a pretty subject but this was my personal favorite because of all the structure, angles and the sharpness of the image.  That 70-200 lens is amazing, and can make an average guy get a special image. 

The heron headshot was cropped about 25%, mostly from the top left.  I felt like I could have approached another 5 feet and gotten an even tighter shot but this bird was so trusting and calm I just didn't want to disturb it ... it didn't seem right.

A challenge issued from a photography teacher was to take an image that is not described by a noun.  Your sunset actually made me go, ah.  I smiled when I saw the smiley face, and it made think about how much fun you had doing that.  That is what a good image does for me.  The image of your daughter also made me smile.  I was drawn immediately to the joy in her face, but the image has curves, and lines, reflections and movement.  Great capture.

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband.  Keep inspiring us with your words and your work.  

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

And thank you, Bill, for your kind words. I really like the turkey vulture! They may not be the prettiest birds but they are super interesting to look at. 

Peter, thanks for the information! I need to check it out. 

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

And thank you, Bill, for your kind words. I really like the turkey vulture! They may not be the prettiest birds but they are super interesting to look at. 

Peter, thanks for the information! I need to check it out. 

Hi Nicole,  Just a note to say thank you for your always positive input.  I do like my Canon gear a lot.  Do I miss my Nikon quality?  Absolutely.  Actually, I have been entertaining the thought of purchasing either a Nikon D300/s or Nikon D700.  Why?  Mainly because our friend Peter uses them.  :))  Thanks again, Tony.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
5bd1cf4420edb58e18ab85ddf561c4dd.jpg
D500 Nikkor 24-120/4 98mm

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

What an intriguing image, Jerry--where is that? The colors and shapes and lines are very attractive. I would love to see this place.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Nicole, the picture was taken in La Valetta (Malta), a quite interesting place to go to, both for touristic reasons, as well as all its history.
Definitely a place to go for photographing.

La Valetta is in a natural harbour and so while it has a limited surface, buildings are close to each other.

This particular picture was taken at the outer side of the city and can be best viewed from a trip by boat in the harbour. I might have captures from a previous visit, but don't have them at hand now. I however add another one, from a different place in La Valetta, where you can see a similar facade. While the building is in a sandstone (giving the warm colours), people like to paint the balconys in different colours. Add to that the sun in the mediterranean sea ...

920fdce4f03f8b81a730d7f85eb2522b.jpg