Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3400 and Sigma 70-200mm lens help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Chmodx

Chmodx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a D3400 they I got as a birthday gift. I just bought an older model Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. It had the HSM and I verified no clutch/gear drive for focus, it has its own motor.

When I mount it the camera says incompatible lens. Is this lens incompatible or is it something else that's the problem?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a D3400 they I got as a birthday gift. I just bought an older model Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. It had the HSM and I verified no clutch/gear drive for focus, it has its own motor.

When I mount it the camera says incompatible lens. Is this lens incompatible or is it something else that's the problem?

If it is indeed the HSM version of the lens, then it should be compatible.  Could you post a photo of the lens as well as the mount?

Chmodx

Chmodx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi Adam,

If it matters the boxes have AF-D on them.

JzMa9JZ.jpg
GNXWj4W.jpg
Rr2uNgW.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D3400 doesn't read the minimum aperture sensing post, stupidly enough. This means that D-type lenses aren't compatible with the metering as the body can't verify that the aperture ring is in the correct position. What happens if you set the camera to manual metering? I think the AF should work as it is HSM, but you will have to guesstimate the exposure and set the aperture with the ring.

Chmodx

Chmodx

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
I guess I'm at a crossroads, I got the camera as a birthday gift but bought the lens myself. I really like this lens as I used to have one back when I was a bigger photo buff. Keep the camera or keep the lens, one or the other has to go.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

I guess I'm at a crossroads, I got the camera as a birthday gift but bought the lens myself. I really like this lens as I used to have one back when I was a bigger photo buff. Keep the camera or keep the lens, one or the other has to go.

3000 and 5000 series are designed for AF-S and AF-P gelded (G) lenses. If you want to use older tech lenses you need to move up to 7000 series or older D50/80/90/100/200/300.

It is what it is, and shame on Nikon for this rift when they're supposed to be about not obsolescencing their lens lineup like Canon did.