Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hurricane Irma

hurricane irma

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Spent most of today hanging storm panels. I'll finish tomorrow.

Looks like Saturday night and Sunday morning could be really nasty. We are currently about 25mi west of the track center.

Not looking forward to the weekend.... LOL.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

so your in my neck of woods. was give brevard mandatory evacuation so i have to leave. when get back should have pictures to share too. trying to get pops to go right away he said no. wants to wait and see i said want to go. do not want to be here. also live along or near indian river lagoon too. since pops along it and i near 1 1/2 miles from it. also think of starting a nature walk photography facebook group. for my area brevard county  and buddy jay area of indian river county. it will set up for people learn teach or just want to come out and take pictures as group once month or twice a month meet. hit differnet trails during cold season. 

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

We're a little ways from the coast but probably not far enough. The storm surge is going to be rough in Brevard county as well as all the areas of the gold and space coast. If you're going to go, now would be the time. We're not but I'm conflicted about that decision... even though we have extenuating circumstances for staying. 

Good luck.

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Hope you all are doing ok! 

• Ron likes this

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStraddling the border b/w Wisdom and Infirmity
yall let us know how you're doing. In our thoughts and prayers.
  • Ron likes this

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

Came through Irma without structural damage and no flooding. Lost power for a day. Lots of clean up. Many people in Broward County, Fl. still without power. We should be back to normal this weekend. Encouragement for the many who were less fortunate.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

made okay no real good damage at all just large plant fell over little and branch can down from tree in backard way from house 

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStraddling the border b/w Wisdom and Infirmity

Glad to hear y'all come through okay. Still getting back to the new normal here. Just got back into my office yesterday. No significant damage to our building. But, we're in the Energy Corridor, which was one of the hardest hit areas of town. Wiped out all the ethernet in this part of town, didn't get it back until Friday. Crazy. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Seems like I've been spending the entire month of September watching storms!  I'm still watching too!  Our family in Texas (Austin) and our family in Florida (Tampa and Orlando areas) all made it through OK...we have so far been blessed without any issues in North Carolina and we are hoping that continues through the rest of this (and MANY future) hurricane seasons!

I hope all of our other Florida and Texas folks (as well as any on the islands, from Mexico and elsewhere) are safe!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Looks like I'm the last to check in. Glad everyone is OK! We got power back a few days ago but a lack of internet service, and yard work have kept me away from the console.

We came through pretty well ourselves although we lost about a dozen palms, three or four silver buttonwoods and had a huge cananga uprooted in the back yard. Luck was with us though because when it fell, it did so directly between the house and our yard shed. A foot or so either way would have been disastrous.

Miami Dade is littered with debris and the tree removable guys have been running around in droves. One evening, I counted 50 or 60 bucket trucks passing by on the main artery close to the house. What we, thankfully haven't seen, is structural damage. Thank you Charley Danger! Miami Dade has the toughest building code in the country thanks to Charley and the work he did after hurricane Andrew.

In this storm that work seems to have paid off.

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm so glad to hear that you are all ok. Hurricane season isn't over yet--hoping we've seen the worst of it though. 

Just spent a few minutes reading about Charlie Danger--what a guy!!!

http://www.miamihera...cle1959445.html

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks, Nicole. We're well aware that hurricane season is far from over and this one seems to be on track to be nearly as bad as 2005 when we were peppered with hurricanes.

We all miss Charley Danger but we're fortunate that he happened along when he did. I'm positive that a number of people who are alive today would not be alive if it weren't for Charley.

Unfortunately, our local power company, (FPL) is heading in the opposite direction. There was a time when they would send tree trimming crews around to clear the branches and other vegetation from power poles and lines. This proactive pruning helped keep power flowing during the summer when we get lots of nasty weather. However, a few years ago in a move to increase profits for shareholders, they mostly did away with the proactive pruning. It saved them a few dollars during years when we didn't get a lot of bad weather but this year it turned around and bit them (and us). 

--Ron