Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Couple of Noob Q.s re my new-to-me D40...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SimoninBS7

SimoninBS7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi folks, am super excited to join the Nikon Owner's Club many years after first hankering after a Nikon.  Bought a second-hand D40 and what a little peach it is! Seller threw in a neat little E series 50mm, which fits onto the D40 body OK, of course, but the LCD screen reports, 'no lens fitted' Obviously I'm not expecting the E series lens to auto-focus (as there's no motor in a D40 and no motor in the lens!) but I would expect the camera body to recognise a Nikon lens that fits and to measure exposure - and even let me go on to take a photo! Am I wasting my time trying to make an E series work on a D40 body.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D40 won't meter with a lens without a chip. You can still use it, but you will have to do everything manually by trial-and-error. I think it will fire in M mode, but there might be a menu item that needs to be set before it will fire without a recognized lens.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
The D40 will fire in M, I used to use mine on T mounts.

Metering will be trial and error, or get yourself a handheld meter, I still use my Weston Eurosix with the Incident cone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SimoninBS7

SimoninBS7

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Cheers, chaps! I didn't think to move off of the P setting!

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

The 40 unfortunately has little backward compatibility - it doesn't support earlier lenses such as the E or the first-generation autofocus, so it's advisable to be cautious when buying lenses..

There's a compatibility chart here:

http://www.kenrockwe...bility-lens.htm

You can get your lens chipped so that focus confirmation and metering work, I think, but I doubt it would be cheap.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 40 unfortunately has little backward compatibility - it doesn't support earlier lenses such as the E or the first-generation autofocus, so it's advisable to be cautious when buying lenses..

There's a compatibility chart here:

http://www.kenrockwe...bility-lens.htm

You can get your lens chipped so that focus confirmation and metering work, I think, but I doubt it would be cheap.

It is one of the easier lenses to chip, if you want to get a dandelion and experiment yourself. OTOH, the 50/1.8D is optically similar, but with better coatings and can be found cheap. You will still not get AF with the D40, but the rendering of out-of-focus areas is quite nice.

If you want to try the old manual lenses on a D40, there are light meter apps for most smartphones.