Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

manual focus doesn't work after switching from autofocus

autofocus manual focus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

vrusi

vrusi

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello,

I am using a Nikon D5100, and for a long while (maybe a year) I have only been using M42 mount lenses, so I never used autofocus during that time.

A few days ago I've tried the only autofocus lens I own - AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR, and this happened: after switching from autofocus to manual focus, when trying to take a photo, the camera sounds as if it was trying to focus (and doesn't) for as long as the button is pressed down. I am unable to take a photo then.

It will start working again after waiting for some time (maybe 15 minutes?). This happens every time I switch to manual focus, and in any mode.

A friend of mine is experiencing the same problem with her Olympus E-420 and Olympus Digital Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6 ED lens.

What could be causing it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: autofocus, manual focus