Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hurricane Harvey

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStraddling the border b/w Wisdom and Infirmity
Can't say what I really think about Harvey since we have language restrictions here. We're safe. Raining where we are but OK. Not sure how our house is since the county was evacuated and they have road blocks up to keep anyone from coming in, Including news crews. Have seen some social media videos, doesn't look horrible so far. Might be a week before we can get home, not sure. Never seen anything like this storm. Wish I had photos, but we didn't have time.

I know we have some other Texas folks on here, seems like a couple were near the coast or Hill County, which is supposed to get truck load of rain. Everyone else okay?

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia
Chris - Glad to hear you're safe. Hope you don't suffer much damage. FEMA doesn't cover very much. Our son is in Grapeland, getting rained on.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I have friends in Rockport, and can't reach them.  i know they evacuated to about three hours north.  

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
It's a massive storm. Headed north so probably even more rain in Grapevine. Deano, Rockport took a big hit, maybe worst of all. Glad they got out. If they went three hours north they're probably close to where we are. Lots of rain here, creeks out of banks. but that's usually localized flooding and not widespread.

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
Well, maybe some good news. They had forecast a 10' wall of water in downtown Bay City last night when the Colorado river came out of its banks. Doesn't look like it's happened so far. They opened the county up a few hours ago. Still some impassable roads around Houston, don't think we can get there yet. Hopefully can get in next day or two and see what we have. Deano, did you get hold of your friends from Rockport?

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Good luck.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I understand how you feel. I've been through a number of hurricanes and even the smallest of them proved to be a stressful affair.

But I've never seen anything like Harvey. The amount of rain that's fallen is unbelievable. My heart goes out to everyone who's been touched by this terrible storm. Until you experience something like this you have no concept of just how fragile our civilization really is. How fast it all can go the hell in a hand basket.  

Stay safe!

--Ron

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
Neighbor made it home today. Barely, and he was much closer than we are. He said house looks good. Power on and roof intact, no water marks outside. Still waiting for river to crest, but pretty hopeful now.

Thanks For all the well wishes. You're right Ron, never been anything like Harvey. Have ridden out our fair share of TS and hurricanes. Never seen anything close. Water still rising in a lot of areas because of rains upstream and the water they're having to release from dams. Hoping to head home Friday. We'll see.

Cjtamu

Cjtamu

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Country Flag
We got home about hour and a half ago. All good. Roof intact, no water in the house, no trees down. Lost our trellis and grape vines. Fair trade. So much better off than many. Hope everyone on here is okay.