Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Camera and Maintenace Tips

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Realise that commonsense should prevail, but has anyone got tips on routines they use for looking after camera's and lens?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I usually put those little silica gel bags that come in electronic goods' boxes inside my camera bags.  I keep all lenses and bodies always in a zipped up camera bag to avoid dust and moisture.  Obviously, keep them out of damp places, and places where temperatures might fluctuate dramatically.

I always keep front and back caps on all lenses.  I don't have many camera bodies these days, but I would always keep a lens on it or body cap.  

I make it a habit never to buy lenses or camera bodies used when they do not come with caps.  You never know how long they were uncapped or where they were stored, and are sure to have more dust inside than those stored with caps.  I'll immediately move on to find a different one.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

Dust would be my biggest concern as most of my work would be in a city surrounded by busy traffic.. Im always cleaning my lens and when i get home or time for a break i use a small make up brush to clean as much dust as possible.. Thankfully from my experience with Nikon, they hold up quite well to prevent dust contamination.. Generally im not switiching lens to often so as to prevent the heart of my camera becoming contaminated, also as i prefer to be in with the action rather than taking pictures from the boundries.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Thanks Mark, what lens would you normally have on your camera?

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

My basic 18-55mm which came with the camera, it normally does everything i need as im always in with any action face to face..

One thing i can say is Police Pepper spray is a mess to clean of a camera.. lol 

but i suppose that's the consequences of getting close to the action..

Police Officers under Pressure at Protest

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Using those little silica gel packets is a great idea! Thanks for the tip!

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

For lens care I am listing a great blog post from Lensrentals.com on what they do to clean lenses. They also have some very interesting information at the end of the blog post too. These people clean amazing numbers of lenses every single day. So they are definitely in the know. I am also adding a couple links of interest to how bad a lens can be and still get surprisingly good images. I think you will be shocked at the images taken from seriously messed up lenses. It will help to understand why I am not a huge freak about being uber careful. I will often drop a lens in my bag without covers if I am in a hurry to get a different shot and then will cap them later.

Lens Rentals | Blog

Lens Rentals | Blog

Dirty lens article