Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photographic Books - Choice

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

One of the problems I have found, is that there is so much information about photography available both on the internet and in the numerous books available. It is hard to see the wood for the tree's at times and realise that this problem is not just restricted to photography but in all topics. I have recently discovered what appear to be very good blog and information sites, plus books advertised as being the 'must have book'. For example I have just purchased a kindle version of John Batdorff's 'Nikon D7100: From SAnapshots to Great Shots', which appears to be a comprehensive guide for the camera. Realise it is very subjective, but is there particular top of the list sites or authors people would recomend, remembering that I am a complete novice?

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi. I like books written by Michael Freeman. Now I am reading "The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos". Very good vith good language. Autor explains complicated things with a simple words.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi. I like books written by Michael Freeman. Now I am reading "The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos". Very good vith good language. Autor explains complicated things with a simple words.

Thanks for the recommendation, I was looking for composition guides! Ordered.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I second the recommendation for books by Michael Freeman and would add any books by Bryan Peterson to the list. His books "Understanding Exposure" and "Understanding Composition Field Guide" have both been essential to my growth as a photographer.

Also for novices, I strongly recommend Scott Kelby's series "The Digital Photography Book: How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros." It's a four-volume series, but don't let that put you off. They're not huge books by any means. If you can get past his cheesy humor, Kelby is great at giving simple instructions without going uber-technical over your head. He says his goal is to give you advice as though you were standing next to him shooting. He breaks each section of his books into small, single-page chunks of information, which makes it a great bathroom book. ;) Each volume is a quick and easy-to-understand read.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Ordered "Understanding Composition Field Guide" as well. I'll look into the others, thanks.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

just ordered the Understanding  Composition Field Guid. cant wait to start reading.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have also ordered the 'understanding Composition Field Guide'.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Great suggestion on books. Two books I have which are great are:

"How to photograph absolutely everything - successful pictures from your digital camera" by Tom Ang - It's a great little resource, easy to read and goes through all the basics.

A little bit more indepth is "Ultimate Field Guide to Photography" - National Geographic

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Great suggestion on books. Two books I have which are great are:

"How to photograph absolutely everything - successful pictures from your digital camera" by Tom Ang - It's a great little resource, easy to read and goes through all the basics.

A little bit more indepth is "Ultimate Field Guide to Photography" - National Geographic

Thanks for both of these recommendations.

Bonobo

Bonobo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag
I second the suggestions of Peterson and freeman but here's one slightly offbeat option: the naked and the lens. I found it just as informative as any other photography book and actually learned some new tricks too. It is nsfw though.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Just remember. Few years ago I read books written by Lee Frost. Very good and interesting books. Recommend you to read them.

• K-9 likes this

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

One that I ALWAYS recommend is "The Moment It Clicks" by Joe McNally. It is a bit different than most photography books. It does not have a lot of text to read, Instead each time you turn the page you will see a large image and then a paragraph or two about it. Sometimes it will be about the inspiration, sometimes about a technical detail, sometimes a funny story about it. The photos are very inspiring. You will learn a ton about lighting (that is probably Joe's biggest specialty). And it is just a relaxing fun read. You will learn and not even feel tired afterwards.

bredies

bredies

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Onewithecamera - that sounds like a good way to learn from a book.  Usually I am hopeless with books.

Slightly off topic you posted in another thread a short checklist for shots. Can you point me to that thread or PM me.  I have a similar checklist and trying to see if I have all basis covered as well as a way to remember the checklist without pulling out a notebook.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Just remember. Few years ago I read books written by Lee Frost. Very good and interesting books. Recommend you to read them.

I second the Lee Frost recommendation.  While I haven't read any of his books, Frost is a superb photographer and has written a ton of great articles in photography magazines.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Second hand copy of Teach Yourself Photography written by Lee Frost arrived in the post today, looks good. It was written in 2000, but looks really good as a starter to build foundation, along with the other material highlighted by you kind folks. Recall a lecturer telling us when you have to study a complicated issue or subject, start with the most basic easy to read book you can find and build up from there.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
Man I've downloaded quite a few photography books lately (and a lot mentioned in this thread). I just don't know where to start. LOL

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Bought a few books myself since i got my camera, book i keep going through when i need to is by a photographer named Tom Ang.

Got a few books and i will say they are nicely detailed highly recommended!

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I've always preferred photography magazines over books, in that you get different perspectives on things.  

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Bought a few books myself since i got my camera, book i keep going through when i need to is by a photographer named Tom Ang.

Got a few books and i will say they are nicely detailed highly recommended!

I have got a similar problem, so much information and so little time. But much to get into over the dark/wet winter months.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
I need to travel... LOL... I do my best reading when travelling and it gives me more opportunities to shoot.