Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just Frustrated

help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Nikonadude

Nikonadude

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

First entry in this forum- Greetings All !!

Okay, I bought Adobe Elements 15, which also comes with Organizer. From what I am able to surmise is that the Mac "Photo" app is not compatible with this organizer. I am at the point where I need an easy and reliable photo organizer that will work with ALL Adobe programs. To date, this issue has baffled me despite copious research efforts. You are my last hope Obi Wan.

Thank you, folks.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Have you tried Adobe Bridge CC?  It's free even!

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
If you wish to laden yourself with Adobe offerings it would seem Lightroom would be your best bet for catalogging.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Not sure why you need both the Mac photo app and Elements 15 but then I haven't used a Mac in some time.

My advice would be to settle on a photo organization app and work around that. Lightroom is a good photo organizer but I'm sure there are others. I have used the photo organizer in Elements... tho not the latest, and found it lacking in many ways. I now use Lightroom CC and have found it to be generally good, if a bit over bloated with (what I consider) unnecessary add-on's. 

If you don't wish to commit to the Adobe Photography Plan (which includes Lightroom and Photoshop) you can still buy the boxed version of Lightroom.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you need a DAM that lets you keyword your files that is free-standing and doesn't care what editor you use, Photo Mechanic is very fast to use and *mostly* Adobe-friendly.

Ratings and keywords will carry through and populate the database in LR, colour codings won't. The same goes for Bridge. I don't know how well it works with PS Elements or Photos as I don't use them.

Keywords are searchable with Spotlight as well as the DAM and editing apps, which can be a very good thing.

The nicest part is that you can use an IPTC compliant hierarchy for your keyword structure. It will reproduce as a flat set in LR, but the higher-level classes will be there without mistakes, unlike entering them in LR itself.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I use Photos, Photo Mechanic, Light Room - basically my use of Photos is limited to working with images from my phone.  LightRoom is my choice for filing and keywording my images.  I do use Photo Mechanic, but I do not use it to the extent that I really should use it.  

I personally think LR is your best bet, but it really depends on what you want and need.  

Nikonadude

Nikonadude

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Okay, I bought Adobe Elements 15, which also comes with Organizer. From what I am able to surmise is that the Mac "Photo" app is not compatible with this organizer. I am at the point where I need an easy and reliable photo organizer that will work with ALL Adobe programs. To date, this issue has baffled me despite copious research efforts. You are my last hope Obi Wan.

Thank you, folks.

Thank you, folks.

Thank you to TBonz, Merco_61, Ron, ScottinPollock and Adam. I researched all the suggestions and went with Adobe Bridge and like it. Good work team.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help