Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3400 keeps locking up

d3400 lock-up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

andrewrimmer

andrewrimmer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I bought my wife a D3400 for her birthday a couple of days ago. However since getting the camera it has been locking up intermittently.

Whilst using the camera the green light will come on and stay on, and then the camera becomes completely unresponsive. Pressing any of the buttons or switching it on or off don't make any difference. 

Taking the battery out fixes the situation until the next time it happens. Everything else seems to be working fine, and the pictures save to the memory card (and transport to the iPhone via snapbridge).

The camera seems to be on the latest firmware, and we're using a decent memory card that was formatted with the camera (SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC). The battery is also fully charged.

Has anybody had issues like this? Could a mistake using the camera cause the lock-up or does it sound like a technical issue with the camera? I am not sure what to try except maybe trying another memory card.

Thanks

Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPflugerville, Texas

I'm not familiar with the D3400, but have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware updates??  It could be behind.

andrewrimmer

andrewrimmer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I was hoping it would be the firmware but it seems to have come with the latest firmware already installed.

C 1.12

LD 2.016

LF 1.00

andrewrimmer

andrewrimmer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

It is very strange.

I just switched on the camera, and you can press down the button half way to focus, but you cannot press it down fully to take a picture. The green light is on all the time, and the screen won't come on.

After waiting about a minute the green light goes off and then the camera works fully as normal.

When I went to switch if off, the screen which was showing the last photo won't go off when switch the camera to the off position. After another minute the screen eventually goes off.

It is bizarre, and looks like I may have to take the camera back to the shop.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :).

NOTE: I just got it to lock up again and this time I successfully took a picture and it was fine. Then I pressed the button down halfway and the green light came on again and the camera would no longer take any pictures or respond. It stayed like this for a minute or two before coming back to life.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It sounds like some kind of communications error between the camera and the card. Trying another card is worth doing before you give up and take the camera back to the shop. If I remember correctly, the light on the D3xxx bodies shows activity on the bus for the memory card.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

What Peter said... try another card. If it still locks up, return the camera.

--Ron

andrewrimmer

andrewrimmer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

It doesn't look good, but will try another card before sending it back.

Thanks for the help.

• Ron likes this

andrewrimmer

andrewrimmer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Alas changing the memory card made no difference so I took it back to John Lewis and got it replaced. We haven't tested it yet, so hopefully the replacement will be problem free. 

We never got around to testing the original camera with SnapBridge turned off, so I hope the issue was with the camera and not a buggy SnapBridge.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I don't personally use snapbridge but I have read some reports of it being buggy at best. Of course, your mileage my vary. Good luck with the new camera.

--Ron