Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sony now on the I.S.S.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Sony A7S2 now taking video of Earth. Guessing they thought Nikon wasn't good enough in that regard.
  • Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

They used to have a whole gaggle of Nikons and Nikkor lenses on the ISS, mostly for still photography tho. I don't know what they used to shoot video with prior to getting A7S2's.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

So, we are back to the beginning... The first camera in space in the western world was a Minolta. It might have been the first, but nobody can be quite sure about how the early cosmonauts were equipped.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Peter, you are correct, sir. From NASA...

When John Glenn became the first American in orbit, bringing a camera was an afterthought. An Ansco Autoset 35mm camera, manufactured by Minolta, was purchased in a local drug store and hastily modified so the astronaut could use it more easily while in his pressure suit. At the time, everything that John Glenn did was deemed an experiment. At the beginning of the program, no one knew for certain whether weightlessness would prevent a man from seeing, or from breathing, or from eating and swallowing. Photography was deemed nothing more than a recreational extra.

I love the part about it being purchased at a local drug store. :rolleyes:

--Ron