Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Capture NX-D Problem?: NEFs From D750 Are Too Small

capture nx-d d750 nef

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jim Batty

Jim Batty

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have recently downloaded the latest Capture NX-D software (Ver. 1.4.5) and am running it on Mac OS Sierra (Ver. 10.12.5).

On my D750 I have been recording FX NEFs + JPEGs. The NEFs are Large/Lossless Compression/12-bit. The JPEGs are set to Fine.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: When I view the File Info in Capture NX-D, the JPEGs show as 6016x4016px ... and the RAW NEFs show as 1620x1080px!  Far too small! The NEF files are about 28.5 MB, while the JPEG files are about 18.5 MB.

BTW, if I Convert Files and Specify Size as the correct size for the NEFs in Capture NX-D, the images are lo-res and crappy.

I'm fairly certain my image quality and size settings on the D750 are correct.

Anybody know what's happening here? 

Jim

sjsepan

sjsepan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Jim,

Was it working in the version of Capture NX-D that you had prior to 1.4.5, (or was that the first - it sounded like you had a previous working copy)?

It sounds like the codec installed is not up to the task. Is there a separate installer for Macs on the Nikon site?

Also, here is a link to try:
Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

I can't remember the exact scenario, but I seem to recall having to use this just once (successfully) in some odd circumstance.

Steve

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Your file size is about where it should be, so it is NX-D that does something screwy with your NEFs. Have you tried reinstalling the software?

Jim Batty

Jim Batty

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Steve, Merco

Sorry, have just come back to this.

After many emails with support people (all fairly quick responses) and a lengthy phone call, Nikon admitted that the version of NX-D I was using was corrupting my NEFs on transfer to my computer. (It was the only Nikon transfer software compatible with my computer's OS at the time.) The corruption problem was inadvertently built into the software -- when using it with NEF files from camera models released after the software. I have been assured that this glitch has been fixed in future transfer software.

Note that NIKON DO NOT HAVE A FIX for files corrupted in this way by NX-D!

I was pointed to Phil Harvey's ExifTool -- also mentioned by Steve above -- and this repaired about a year's worth of images. Indeed, I think Nikon owe a huge debt of gratitude to Phil Harvey for developing (and keeping up to date) his tool so that Nikon users can repair their corrupted files! I drew a wry response from Nikon when I suggested they should have Phil on their payroll.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: capture nx-d, d750, nef