Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which Glass to Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

Hi all,

So I know there exist some utils that can tell you what the focal length of your photos are, but never found one I liked… so I decided to build one.

http://scottinpollock.us

This one takes just a single click to generate a sorted list of all focal lengths from photos in a selected folder. It will not only walk through all photos in that folder, it will traverse any and all subdirectories as well.

This is FAR from finished. It is slow and yet to be optimized, but I thought I would throw it out there for suggestions on feature additions and interface design (don't wanna paint myself into a corner so early). If you have thousands of photos in a folder/subfolders, it's gonna take a little time... so be patient. There is currently no progress indicator other than an indeterminate progress bar to tell you it has started working on the files and a prompt for when it is done. Here, it took several minutes to walk thru several thousand images in quite a few nested folders.

This is a Mac universal binary that should run on 10.4 and above. If there is sufficient interest I will consider porting the finished version to Windows (if possible).

Please give it a try and I'm looking forward to your feedback (which can be here, or the Disqus forum on the download page).

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
Could be interesting. Although I use Lightroom which provides this info instantly. Although I've only done it once to see how it worked.

Not surprisingly my most used lens is 70-200mm. Most common focal length is 200mm. And most common aperture is f2.8.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
That makes sense as when LR imports photos, it puts the metadata into an SQLite 3 database. Then it just needs to execute a single sql query to return the data.

My app is walking all of the files individually. With that said, with the help of a friend, we've managed to speed that process up by a factor of 18.

I'll post a new build later today.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

New build is up but it seems there is not a lot of interest here (TBH zero); maybe 'cause y'all are using LR. So if that continues I think I'll just keep for my own use. It has already saved me $169 (the current sale price of the Nikon 35mm DX).

yahoo.gif