Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

200-500 questions

200-500mm lens d500 focus noise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ShantiLFE

ShantiLFE

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi have had the Nikon 200-500 for awhile now..get some amazing shots, but it seems infinity focus/details are not so good? & foilage is not rendered so well

here a 2 examples..maybe I expect too much from it? have AF fine to +6 which seems ok..only did it for 500mm(not sure how to AF fine for 200mm?)

the spoonbills area about as sharp as I can get using DXO  

feel free to play with the NEF files if they can make a big difference 

Thanks for any info/help

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life  SIngle pt AF

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life  Group AF AFC

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life      Group AF   AFC

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1976-001.JPG
  • DSC_1958-001.JPG
  • DSC_2070_DxO-001.jpg

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I dont think you can fine tune for 200mm with that lens if you have tuned for 500mm,the deer shot looks to have front focus to me looking at the grass. 

This is not the recomended way but i have had three 150-600s 1 Tamron and two Sigma,i only ever set focus at 600mm  and i did it at about 20ft wide open,my thinking any further away or a smaller stop would cover for any problems.

As i say its not the recomended way but it has always worked for me,i havent done the 100-400 yet as i dont think it needs it.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Forgot to say infinity detail is often lost due to distortion caused by contaminates or heat the atmosphere.

ShantiLFE

ShantiLFE

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag

I dont think you can fine tune for 200mm with that lens if you have tuned for 500mm,the deer shot looks to have front focus to me looking at the grass. 

This is not the recomended way but i have had three 150-600s 1 Tamron and two Sigma,i only ever set focus at 600mm  and i did it at about 20ft wide open,my thinking any further away or a smaller stop would cover for any problems.

As i say its not the recomended way but it has always worked for me,i havent done the 100-400 yet as i dont think it needs it.

aha I set AF fine at about 50ft away..maybe that's why its front focusing ? 

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

aha I set AF fine at about 50ft away..maybe that's why its front focusing ? 

You did it the right way, i do it the wrong way as i find DOF is so shallow where i do it i can be more acurate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 200-500mm lens, d500, focus, noise