Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Files not listed Cannot view files on computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

RoxethRook

RoxethRook

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Nikon LX22 and a computer with Windows XP

When I connect the camera to the computer (using a USB cable) the camera is displayed in the list of devices in Windows Explorer and I get (briefly) an icon indicating a connection between the camera and the computer but the the Files (photos) are not listed.  I have done a reset.

What could be causing this and how can be remedied please?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Unless your camera has a mass storage mode for communicating with the computer, you will have to use some kind of transfer software to connect the two or use a card reader to copy the files. Explorer won't see a PTP gadget. Your camera probably shipped with a copy of Nikon Transfer in some version or other. Transfer has been a part of ViewNX for a while. You might run into trouble installing a modern version of Transfer on XP.

Both Lightroom and Bridge can connect to a PTP device to ingest the photo files. There are probably other solutions as well, but I am not that familiar with the Windows world...

RoxethRook

RoxethRook

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks.  I transferred files through Windows Explorer on a regular basis without resorting either to additional software or (until recently) a card reader and I would like to return to that.  I would, therefore, like to explore the possible cause of this issue - if at all possible.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I am not familiar with your model of coolpix. Is it possible that you have set it to PTP instead of Mass Storage mode for the USB communication?

Have you tried another USB cable, the miniature and subminiature contacts sometimes go bad.

I seem to remember that Plug and play was more Plug and pray in earlier Windows versions, have you tried using another USB port on the computer?

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I guess you will not have had an XP update but have you made any changes to your virus protection, grasping at straws here.

RoxethRook

RoxethRook

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

The specification (from the user manual) of the LX22 shows Data transfer protocol: MTP,PTP.  There is no mention of either Mass storage mode or a means of switching out of PTP.  It used to work but now it doesn't and I can't change the mode so that is not the cause of the problem.  I have tried a different USB port.

I'm afraid I have only the one USB cable so I can't test the theory that the USB cable may be faulty.

Virus protection (AVG) is, like all virus protection software, changing continually.

Would reinstalling the firmware(presently V1.0) remedy the situation?  Is it safe to do so?  Where is the driver located and how do I install onto the camera?