Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sorry if reposting- asking about lens compatibility.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

jodie777

jodie777

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Yesterday I tried to attach a Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 to a Nikon D3400 and the screen said it wasn't compatible with this lens (for Nikon mount) and so I'm trying to work out what cameras the Tamron 28-300mm is compatible with. I have used this lens with my full frame D700 & D810. I'm wanting to work out if it's compatible with a D7100 and how do I find out this information.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I suspect that it is the screw-drive version of the Tamron. This is a lens with an aperture ring without the minimum aperture information in the chip. I think the D3400 needs that information as it doesn't read the minimum aperture sensing post, so there is no way for the camera to know if the lens is set to minimum aperture or not. It could be a matter of the D3400 being dumbed-down to say it's incompatible with lenses without a focusmotor just to get rid of the "Why doesn't it tell me that the AF doesn't work" questions.

These lenses work fully with bodies with a focus motor in-body as they are all made to use AF and AF-D lenses. This means that it definitely works with D50, D70, D80, D90, D7xxx, three-digit, single-digit and Df bodies.