Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Faulty - Nikon D800 camera or memory card?

nikon d800 faulty memory card files cannot be displaye corrupt files/pictures help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

steven2rookery68

steven2rookery68

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Question:
Faulty Nikon D800 camera or faulty memory card?
steven1968 asked on July 15, 2017rsp-expand-down.png?ver=17.7.8.5

Hi everyone.  I bought a Nikon D800 camera secondhand recently on Ebay, and it is acting strangely.  The first time I used it, I took 8 pictures, and then the next 20 pictures would not be displayed on my playback screen.  I got a message saying:- "file cannot be displayed."  I also got a square box in red with two red diagonal lines running through it from corner to corner, left and right.  The only way I was able to fix this issue was to download the photos to my laptop and then format the memory card.  The camera then worked again when I replaced the memory card in the camera.  However, the twenty photos could not be opened in Photoshop or any other software on my laptop.  The second time I used the camera (yesterday), I took 22 photos successfully, and then I got exactly the same problem as above.  Again, the only solution was to copy my pictures to my laptop and then format the memory card.  The memory card and camera then worked fine, and the camera worked fine if I tried a different memory card.  

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  Has anyone had similar issues with the Nikon D800 or other camera?  Does it sound like my camera is faulty, or is it the memory card at fault?  I am very worried and concerned about this as the camera was £920.00 to buy and I had to borrow the money from my bank, the majority of which I still owe.

I would be very grateful for any advice/opinions given, and any knowledge shared.

Thank you so much!

Kind regards,

Steven

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Get another card and try. Corrupt data can be either the card or the camera. The D800 needs good cards to work right as the memory bus is fast to handle the large files. If it is the camera, let's hope you used Paypal so you have some protection as the product you bought clearly isn't fit for purpose.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d800, faulty, memory card, files cannot be displaye, corrupt files/pictures, help!