Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D610 Won't Focus Through View Finder But Will Focus In Live Mode.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Shortyboy

Shortyboy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Having difficulty with my Nikon D610. I've been to 3 camera stores near me and no luck getting any answers without having to leave it for a long period of time. Or asking me questions like I was dumb. "Did you try to adjust the view finder focus?" "What ISO are you trying to shoot at?" "Did you try wiping the lens clean of dust?".

I have a sigma 35mm 1.4 art lens attached and when I try to shoot a portrait through the view finder, it's not as clear as it should be. When I switch to live mode with the same settings, it shoots as crisp as it should. Anyone have any tips or ideas what could be causing this?

- I've checked the fine tune. Was told it wouldn't change anything on my camera as the camera won't fine tune any other lenses other than Nikorr lenses.

- I try to shoot between 100-800iso at all times.
- I have the auto focus on AF-C. I've tried all other options as well.
- I shoot with the aperture as open as I can as I like the DOF look.
- I've tried different metering options.
- I don't see any dirt or anything inside the camera.
- Never been dropped.

I will try to update with pictures showing the difference when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It sounds like the focusing mirror sub-assembly needs repair. Sending out for repair is your only option unless you happen to be near one of the repair centres.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Could it be front or back focus, focusing in live view can be more accurate than through the viewfinder,i think the auto fine tune in the new Nikons focus on the rear screen to find the value.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Have you checked it with another fast lens? A slow lens might mask the misfocus, even wide open. If your body  works with other fast lenses, you can forget my earlier post and talk to Sigma support instead.