Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5600 deleted all pictures in SD card when full

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Zakariya

Zakariya

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Just yesterday, I was taking some pictures with my D5600. It had over 990 pictures on my SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB card, all in RAW. I took a few more pictures, went into the gallery and saw that I only had 8 pictures! All the 990+ important vacation photos have been deleted, just to make space for other photos.

1. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?
2. Is this normal?
3. Is there any way I can recover the pictures? I guess the first 8 photos were overwritten by the new ones, so I can't recover them, but those weren't too important.

Thanks in advance! I really need your help because some really important photos were in that SD card. Once I noticed the situation I switched to my other 16GB card. I thought that I was going to get a 'memory card full' error when it's full, so that's why I kept snapping.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have been able to save quite a bit of information from corrupt cards with Sandisk's RescuePRO utility.

It shouldn't happen, but it can if you have a bad sector on the card.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Your files have probably *not* been deleted, unless the card is corrupted.

Indeed, for every 999 pictures taken the camera creates a new folder on the card, in order to have no folders with a thousand or more pictures.

When viewing the pictures in camera just scroll back, even "before" the first picture (of the second folder) to view the 99x pictures of the first folder.

If you load the card to a computer and then use your file explorer/finder (depends on what computer and operating system you use) you should find on the SD card first a folder called DCIM, which itself contains one - or in your case more - subfolders. Check these subfolders to view all your pictures.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Thanks, Jerry! I didn't think of that stupidity...

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

Wow!!  Great info Jerry, I've never heard that before.  I don't ever have that many photos on a card, but good to know.

Zakariya

Zakariya

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Your files have probably *not* been deleted, unless the card is corrupted.

Indeed, for every 999 pictures taken the camera creates a new folder on the card, in order to have no folders with a thousand or more pictures.

When viewing the pictures in camera just scroll back, even "before" the first picture (of the second folder) to view the 99x pictures of the first folder.

If you load the card to a computer and then use your file explorer/finder (depends on what computer and operating system you use) you should find on the SD card first a folder called DCIM, which itself contains one - or in your case more - subfolders. Check these subfolders to view all your pictures.

Late reply since my post needed approval so I ended up asking on another forum and got the same answer as yours. I was too paranoid at the time to even think of that.

Thank you.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Good to read that you didn't loose any picture from your SD card.

On a more general aspect: even so SD cards might be easy to use and no more very expensive, they are *no good media* for long term storage or backup. Copy regularly your pictures from the SD card to your computer and preferably keep a second copy on a separate harddisk or in the cloud.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

That happens to me all the time when shooting big events...glad you got it straightened out...It isn't just SD cards either...happens on MicroSD, CF and XQD as well...

And I agree with Jerry - dump and backup when you can.  It has been awhile, but I believe it will switch over to a new folder on the first image after x999 no matter how many images remain in the folder.  As an example, shoot 400 shots, dump, re-format card, go shoot again and this time you shoot 650 shots, you will have roughly 600 in one folder and 50 in another...