Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D50 replacement that won't break the bank?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

My D50 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I think it's time to start looking for some sort of replacement, probably second-hand, in DX format (no point looking at FX since I can't afford to swap all my lenses). I'm in no rush for this, I'm just wondering what people thought was a logical next step.

I don't need hugely high pixel count - even 8MP is probably enough for my needs, though more would be better.

I do need support for the old style autofocus if at all possible - my best zoom is AF, not AF-S. And I sell old lenses and need this for testing them (though at a pinch I could keep the D50 body for that).

I'd like live preview but can live without it

I'd like a self-cleaning sensor if possible.

Any suggestions?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
D300 or D7000 series. And don't get rid if the D50 as you'll get very little for it and it's still a great body.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

The D300 can be found now at very low prices,if your not in a hurry you could easy find a mint low mileage cheap.

Just had a quick look on that auction site,this is from a reputable dealer with 12 months warranty

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=222560344867

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Here's a third vote for the D300 as they are ridiculously cheap now that they have finally been replaced in the lineup.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Having faffed around for ages and come close to switching to Canon as my main system I've just ended up buying a D90 for £155, mostly trade-in - the pixel count is good enough for my needs and it has live view, retains compatibility with the older Nikon lenses with the screw-type autofocus, and does self-cleaning etc. So far I'm pretty pleased with it, I'll post pictures when there's actually some nice weather again and I can go out without getting soaked. It can't use pre-AI lenses at all, but they never seem to come my way anyway - if they do I can test them on my Canon with a Nikon adapter, I think they'll work.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

I took the Nikon D90 and my big Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 macro zoom to the park. Weather wasn't very nice (very grey) so I concentrated on textures etc. and the usual suspects e.g. the Albert Memorial. My aims here were first to check out the camera, and second to evaluate the lens, which I've owned for 10-11 years and tend to use fairly uncritically. I'm pretty pleased with the camera, the lens is not as good as I'd hoped, but about what I expected - in particular, it's fairly obviously at its best around 50-100mm, with the range either side of that not as good, and 200-300mm not wonderful. Again, I suspect that I'd get better results in brighter conditions. Given that it's about 15 years old I don't find that too surprising. At some point I need to look at replacing it, but for most of my purposes it's good enough - although I find the "all in one" type of lens useful, what I'm thinking about is getting something with a more restricted range but hopefully better performance. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Album here:  Tamron 28-300 Test | Flickr

What I really ought to do is a similar shoot with the 35mm Nikkor and my 18-55 Nikkor, and see how they compare.

mcdoug05

mcdoug05

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello. I'm new to the nikonforums. Recommended by a friend who is more experienced than I.  This may not be the best place for this question. If not, please redirect me.

I realize this post is 6 years old, but I have an old D50 as well - now a lot older than in 2017. I am looking for a replacement and doubt if the recommendation from that time - the D300 - would still be accurate. What would a more current replacement be for the D50? Im trying not to break the bank either. I'm a recreational photographer. Don't need the top of the line.

More info: I primarily use an AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm lens on my D50, which I have enjoyed, but either the lens or the camera are acting up (autofocus problem I think. I have not sent the camera/lens off for a repair. It may just need to be cleaned). Would this lens still work on a recommended replacement, or is it even worth trying this?  Should I just look to replace the camera and lens both?  I have a need on occasional trips to try to get good shots of subjects that are not close.

Thank you (in advance) for any recommendations or advice anyone can give me.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,802 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Welcome mcdoug.

Yes, it’s an old thread but perhaps Marcus will tell us what he eventually replaced his D50 with.

The D50 is quite cheap on the second hand market here in the UK, but there are other options.

Wonder what your budget is?

I have two DX cameras, D3300 & D3200 which I use regularly. I’m trying to stop myself buying a D7200, but the price is still high for these – perhaps £350 - £400 from a dealer with warranty.

Wonder if you can find someone local to you to borrow another AF-s lens to quantify the problem you have with D50 / lens?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello and welcome

Coming from the D50, any new camera will give you technical benefits resulting in enhanced pictures.

The main technological option would rather be to choose between DSLR or mirrorless.

Assuming that the D50 still fits your photographic use and you want to stay with a DSLR, you could opt either for a D3600 or D5600 (tho, personally I would prefer the haptics of a D5300) *if* all your lenses are marked AF-S. If you have have non-AF-S lenses that are important for you to keep, then go for a D7500.
Neither of the camera models mentioned above should break the bank.
However, you mention some possible issues with your main lens, the 18-200. If so, you probably would like to have a replacement lens with your new camera - see for packaged offers with a kit lens.

If you want to go mirrorless, the entry level would be a Z50.
Going mirrorless also means updating your lenses, unless you get an FTZ adapter (a choice which is fine if you have multiple lenses, but an overkill for a single old (and possible faulty) lens).

Considering all cameras offer better technical specs than the D50 (and assumling the D50, as already mentioned, still fits your needs), best would be to go to a local dealer and check the haptics of the different models mentioned above, before making up your decision.
They might also check if your 18-200 lens has an issue or not.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Depends on whether you want a new camera or would be willing to buy used. If you wish to buy new, then any of the cameras Jerry mentioned would be a good option. Especially if you wish to keep using DX lenses.

If you'd rather not pay for a new camera, you would probably like something like the D7200. It was one of Nikon's best offerings, and fully supports a vast majority of Nikon F mount glass. I haven't priced them lately, but I believe that good working examples can be had for relatively little money. I have a Nikon D7000 and I still use it even though it's resolution is quite a bit less than the D7200. For many of the photos I take, it's perfectly adequate.

If you wish to move up to full frame (FX), then there are a number of good Nikons that may fit your budget, including the D610, D750, and any of the D8xx bodies. Many of these cameras are relatively inexpensive though they may be more expensive than the D7xxx series mentioned above.

--Ron

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Welcome mcdoug.

Yes, it’s an old thread but perhaps Marcus will tell us what he eventually replaced his D50 with.

The D50 is quite cheap on the second hand market here in the UK, but there are other options.

Wonder what your budget is?

I have two DX cameras, D3300 & D3200 which I use regularly. I’m trying to stop myself buying a D7200, but the price is still high for these – perhaps £350 - £400 from a dealer with warranty.

Wonder if you can find someone local to you to borrow another AF-s lens to quantify the problem you have with D50 / lens?

As I said earlier in the thread, I replaced my D50 with a D90. Still lots around, not incredibly expensive, and retains compatibility with the earlier AF lenses.

I eventually changed up to a D7000 because they still support the even older AI lenses, and I own a couple and like not having to mess around with guesstimating every shot, but that's not something most people need.

I'm currently thinking about going full-frame but there's no urgency about it - I'll probably go for a D610 if I eventually take the plunge. Just not the D600, judging by its reputation!

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,802 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Sorry Marcus, you did indeed mention the D90.

I must read posts properly.

It might be an age thing. Only this morning, I ordered a coffee at an in-store cafe and a lady behind me in the queue offered to carry it to my table.

I obviously look very old!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Sorry Marcus, you did indeed mention the D90.

I must read posts properly.

It might be an age thing. Only this morning, I ordered a coffee at an in-store cafe and a lady behind me in the queue offered to carry it to my table.

I obviously look very old!

I can definitely relate. 

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i say D800 is best option. since when nikon made great leaps in stuff. also full frame. or can go with D700 too. but are great camera that should not break the bank. also find older model like one you ask for have really low shutter count of death too. 

mcdoug05

mcdoug05

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you all for the valuable information! After more research I think I am going to stick with a DSLR, lightly used or new, possibly a full frame model like a D750 or D780 (pricey). Video would be nice if I can afford it. I will also look more into a D7200 or D5300. I'm also going to look at the Z5, Z6 II and read more on mirrored vs DSLR.

Also, I will try to find a local camera dealer to talk to and look at my current set up - in the hope they may be able to tell me whether my current  trouble is in the camera or lens (doubtful).

Doug

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

Thank you all for the valuable information! After more research I think I am going to stick with a DSLR, lightly used or new, possibly a full frame model like a D750 or D780 (pricey). Video would be nice if I can afford it. I will also look more into a D7200 or D5300. I'm also going to look at the Z5, Z6 II and read more on mirrored vs DSLR.

Also, I will try to find a local camera dealer to talk to and look at my current set up - in the hope they may be able to tell me whether my current  trouble is in the camera or lens (doubtful).

Doug

D7200 over D5300. i had D5300 out grew it to quick and not good in low light and no motor if lenses need it. i say use Z6 good starting point do to fact only minor upgrade to gen 2 Z6. you see why it better then DSLR 

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

One thing I forgot to say is that the D7000 is a good camera, but doesn't support AF-P lenses. At the moment that isn't a huge problem but it eventually might be, it's a technology used for most mirrorless cameras which means that they may prioritize it eventually. I think D7100 onward do have AF-P support, as well as the backwards support I bought the D7000 for.