Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SONY A9!IS THIS THE END OF Nikon D5 ?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

I was thinking to invest a decent amount of money on a pro level  Nikon glass but ...

After Sony launch the new A9,can't stop thinking.

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Am I SILLY or Sony cameras they're just so many steps ahead 

Should Nikon try to lower the cost and try to save something?

Or they will go Downhill and they'll end up like Pentax!!

I love my Nikon D500

How to Stop Worrying?

If Sony launch a new 400mm 2.8 -500mm f4 in the future

only God knows how many Wildlife-Action Photographers will say Goodbye to DSLR!!

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

I was thinking to invest a decent amount of money on a pro level  Nikon glass but ...

After Sony launch the new A9,can't stop thinking.

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Am I SILLY or Sony cameras they're just so many steps ahead 

Should Nikon try to lower the cost and try to save something?

Or they will go Downhill and they'll end up like Pentax!!

I love my Nikon D500

How to Stop Worrying?

If Sony launch a new 400mm 2.8 -500mm f4 in the future

only God knows how many Wildlife-Action Photographers will say Goodbye to DSLR!!

May not be as many as you think,a lot of Nikon or Canon long lens users can only use them because they have been on the go long enough for secondhand units to be on sale,not that i think mirrorless cant do sports or wildlife as i know it can.

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
I can assure you that the Sony A9 has better autofocus system and higher frames a second than Canon or Nikon..
I know it's hard to believe that!
Sony claims that is really hard to miss focus and they right..
I know people who sold the Big and noisy D5 and jumped to A9 allready,I don't blame them
I would do the same

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
If sony start launching semi pro bodies they will nominate the whole market.I'm a dslr guy but I've had enough
Nikon should rethink about the 100 years anniversary selling and start to get real.
For example a cheaper
D5 6500$-sony a9 4500$
Or d810 2800$-sony a7iiR 2700$

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I actually see the A9 as the perfect wedding camera.

Nikon may play second fiddle to Canon, but for wedding photographers, Nikon rules the roost. The D750 has just dominated this segment.

But EVF, silent shutter and amazing focus over the entire frame!!!! Killer features.

Now if only the whole ecosystem wasn't so damned expensive!

I can't afford to change over just yet. But I will certainly be holding off on a couple lens purchases I had planned. Hopefully in the mean time Nikon produce a mirrorless with as good an EVF and focusing as the A9. They are going to have to do it soon though, or start drip feeding some serious rumours of an impending release to limit people moving.

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
Let's be honest, I'm not a professional photographer
But even a blind could see that Nikon overreacting !
So many Nikon different cameras!
Forgot to mention that every Nikon body use Sony sensor
That's hilarious!If it's true.
With all due respect
If I get married one day I would like my photographer with
sony A7ii or A7iir!

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
I've been the mirrorless route and, whilst they're very able, two things bother me - battery life and the cost/availability of (second hand) glass.

Not a deal breaker for everyone but for me, right now, my D610 hits the spot.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
If I had to buy mirrorless tomorrow it would be an X-T2. Best in class build and great DX optimized glass (plus adapted old stuff) makes it a no brainier for me.

But no flip out screen or IBIS still has me sitting on the fence.

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
I Don't care what people said about the d610 and the oil problem. All I have to say that d610 was my hero couple years ago.!

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I Don't care what people said about the d610 and the oil problem. All I have to say that d610 was my hero couple years ago.!

I think the oil problem was the D600 - the D610 having got an updated shutter. I actually bought my D610 from a guy who'd been given it, by Nikon, as a replacement for the recalled D600. In the meantime he'd bought a D800 (or 810, can't remember) and I got his, very low shutter-count D610 for a very good price.

Okay, compared to a mirrorless camera, it's a bit of a lump but lenses are cheap, it's full-frame, it starts up faster than I can raise it to my eye (I keep forgetting that mirrorless cameras can be a slow in this regard) and the battery seems to last forever.

I might be tempted if someone walked up and offered to swap for his Nikon dF but even then I'd be worrying about the single card slot...

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
Don't know what I have to do anymore
I'm 30 years old and I was hoping to buy a 500mm f4 in the next years and complete my dream..
I've been doing so many sacrifices and being hard to my self for this purchase, but things changing. .
I came from pentax and it was really hard for me selling my whole gear because I believed in Nikon !

The Sony A9 was a bullet deep inside my brain that I can't recover from
It was just rumors, I'd buy a d610 again and again! Don't get me wrong

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Don't know what I have to do anymore
I'm 30 years old and I was hoping to buy a 500mm f4 in the next years and complete my dream..
I've been doing so many sacrifices and being hard to my self for this purchase, but things changing. .
I came from pentax and it was really hard for me selling my whole gear because I believed in Nikon !
The Sony A9 was a bullet deep inside my brain that I can't recover from
It was just rumors, I'd buy a d610 again and again! Don't get me wrong

I'm 59 and, whereas there are certainly things I'd like, I don't have that much drive to own them anymore. Yes, I'd love a 58/1.4 but I'm happy with my 50/1.4, etc. Over the years I've had Olympus OM, Nikon, Leica M, Leica R, Olympus OM (again), Nikon (again), Olympus Micro Four Thirds and Nikon (yet again!). It helps that I usually keep my outfit quite small (apart from the Oly MFT), I can offset it against tax and I often buy second hand. However I think that's the sticking point. Unless you're fabulously wealthy, if you're going to invest serious money in glass, you really need to commit to a system, at least in the medium term. Of course second hand glass, bought wisely and looked after probably won't lose you much money but new bodies certainly will.

For me, I've settled quite happily (most of the time) into the realisation that I don't need the best, I just need it to be good enough. The D610 is better than I am and with that knowledge I'm quite happy to stick with it knowing that whatever was hanging round my neck, I wouldn't take better pics. With that comes the security of knowing that if I could ever afford a used 300/2.8 (my personal dream - for better dog racing pics!) I could buy it knowing that I wasn't going to have to unload it all in the near future.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

For me, I've settled quite happily (most of the time) into the realisation that I don't need the best, I just need it to be good enough. The D610 is better than I am and with that knowledge I'm quite happy to stick with it knowing that whatever was hanging round my neck, I wouldn't take better pics. With that comes the security of knowing that if I could ever afford a used 300/2.8 (my personal dream - for better dog racing pics!) I could buy it knowing that I wasn't going to have to unload it all in the near future.

Exactly,  between the media hype and armchair photographers we sometimes forget how great our current (or not so current) gear is.  The name or model of the camera used has a lot less to do with picture quality than the person behind the camera.  A great photographer can get great photos with any relatively current DSLR and lens.

I too tend to buy used and have built up a nice collection of Nikon glass and bodies that I'm very happy with.  I could scrap it all and go out and buy the latest and greatest on the market today, but the only thing that would change is the level of my bank account.  My pictures would be the same.  YMMV.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

Will that mirrorless thingy shot film? If no, then  could care less.

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

Exactly,  between the media hype and armchair photographers we sometimes forget how great our current (or not so current) gear is.  The name or model of the camera used has a lot less to do with picture quality than the person behind the camera.  A great photographer can get great photos with any relatively current DSLR and lens.

I too tend to buy used and have built up a nice collection of Nikon glass and bodies that I'm very happy with.  I could scrap it all and go out and buy the latest and greatest on the market today, but the only thing that would change is the level of my bank account.  My pictures would be the same.  YMMV.

100% Agree with that!

It's very important for every photographer to know his gear,now for action and wildlife we have to be realistic.

There so many cameras and lenses on the market for shooting portraits,landscapes or you name it, but such a few

for action!

Since every situation or scenario is different outdoors and changing every now and then

They are times that you don't have the upper hand anymore!

It's all about the gear Wayben (My humble opinion)

Every person is different .

My question is what's your expectations ?!

Will that mirrorless thingy shot film? If no, then  could care less.

No I don't think so!!That's why I'm mad..

Nikon is 100 years old Company and should be three steps ahead from Sony!

It doesn't matter if it's a dslr or mirrorless,it's all about results my friend!

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

Certainly having proper gear for the type photography you're doing is important.  Trying to photograph birds in flight or sports action with an 8X10 view camera isn't going to work very well.  However, people have been taking great pictures of birds in flight and sports action for decades, without the latest digital cameras we have today.

Pixel count and frame rate don't matter much if the photographer can't compose an interesting subject in a way that invokes feelings in the viewer.

It's all about the photographer (MY humble opinion).

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
Allow me to give you an example
There is an osprey flying towards you and you have less than a second to focus and start shooting on your D5
You locked your subject
In 3 seconds you have almost 40 pics

How many pics will be sharp ?
Your answer is very important
You know better than me what sharp means!

Im feelig so ashamed for being a nerd with to much theory right now.
But is the only way to express myself

I keep using my d500 on the field as a tool and still learning from my mistakes and becoming better every day!

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

The A9 has continuous focus upto 20fps  but from what i understand that is with electronic shutter,i know they say they have controled rolling shutter but how much,the D5 does 12 fps AFC with a mechanical shutter.

From what i can see the A9 does 5fps with the mechanical shutter,not knocking anything but headline statements don't always tell everything,it would need some serious spec comparison.

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
Do you believe that a lot of Nikon photographers will not care if the A9 is just a better camera?
I believe that ....
They spend thousands of dollars on Nikon lenses
That's why They will not give any attention to a serious comparison.
Warning shots from Sony A9! the first miroless action camera that almost buried the D5

Can you imagine what is going to happen in the future !

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Taking up Bobby's example here is one capture taken earlier this year

92cfedda600774f618a24bec310c8c57.jpg
D500 Tamron 150-600/2.8 G1 280mm f5.6 1/2000s@ISO180 (uncropped)

The series of pictures to which it belongs has been taken with continous AFS-C

Pictures turned unsharp not due to the camera but due to the minimum distance (about 10ft/3m) required by the/this lens to focus.

The D500 did a perfect job with rapidly getting the good focus and keeping it.

Edit:

And a printscreen of a magnigication by a factor of 1000x in the photoediting program

7f3b244da173a482379002caef5f2c60.jpg