Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon Camera bodies that'll drive a Tamron AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Lens

tamron zoom lens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Rhodie

Rhodie

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Help!  I'm about one step removed from a complete DSLR camera novice.  I've got a D5000.  All good so far.  I'm into ornithology and after a safari trip to Kenya, I decided I needed an auto focus 200 - 500mm zoom lens for those long-range shots.  No names, no pack drill, but a reputable UK dealer sold me a Tamron AF 200 - 500mm F/5-6.3 lens, assuring me that it was fully compatible with the D5000.  Funny old thing, it isn't!  The D5000 doesn't drive the AF function on this particular lens.  I like the lens - the picture quality using MF is more than adequate for my amateurish efforts.  My question is this: which Nikon bodies do actually drive this particular lens and which you recommend?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Is that an older Tamron zoom with AF-D rather than AF-S?  If so, then you'll need a D7xxx series body, any Dxxx, or any full-frame.

The D7200 would be my recommendation, as it would also be a nice upgrade over your D5000 with more advanced AF features and better image quality.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As there is no motor built-in in these older Tamrons, you need a body with the screw-drive and in-body AF motor. I agree with Adam's recommendation above but I would like to add that the D500 will probably be even better for ornithology if the light level is low as the AF is even more competent. It is expensive, but not ridiculously so.