Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

OUT OF MEMORY error message with new 8GB compact flash card

compactflash coolpix995

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

joelarem

joelarem

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have an older Coolpix 995 that has worked fine for years. I am now using a 2GB SanDisk compact flash chip, with no issues. I bought a new SanDisk 8GB Ultra chip and let the Coolpix format it. When I turned on the camera I immediately got a message OUT OF MEMORY! I put the chip into my PC which immediately recognized it as a USB drive and showed the correct capacity, as well as the Nikon file folders created for use by the camera. But the camera itself does not 'see' the memory capacity of this chip. Does the older Coolpix have a limit on the amount of memory it can recognize in a flash drive? It is formatted as FAT which is normal. Do I need to buy a chip with smaller memory capacity? THANKS for any assistance!  Joel

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Does the camera support SDHC cards, or only SD?  If only SD, then 4Gb is the maximum card size, and note that there are some 4Gb cards that are SDHC- you have to make sure you get a standard SD.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It might be even worse as I have a vague memory about the Coolpix 995 using FAT 16. In that case, it won't work with larger than 2 GB cards. It isn't the SD/SDHC thing as it uses CF cards. Adam's guess is a good one, however as that ugly mess trips up the unaware on only slightly later Coolpixes.