Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tethering solution to new MacBook Pro

apple macbookpro d5600 usb-c cameracontrolpro2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

amdizack

amdizack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I am in need of wizardry (or someone to share some knowledge) on tethering.

I have a new MacBook Pro running Sierra (10.12.5) and for the life of me, cannot get either the Apple Image Capture program or Camera Control Pro 2 to recognize when my D5600 is connected. I am using a Nikon supplied UC-E20 cable into a USB-C adapter then into my Mac. I have tried several different cables and even swapped the DSLR body. I have successfully tethered on my old Mac (w/o USB-C ports) without issues.

I know I could use wifi/bluetooth but really want a cable solution.

Can someone tell me if this is even supported or what I might be doing incorrectly? You'll be my hero...

Thanks!

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Who's USB C to A adaptor are you using?

amdizack

amdizack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Who's USB C to A adaptor are you using?

I've tried an Apple one and an Amazon one.  :wacko:

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In addition to Scott's suggestion, what version of CCP do you run?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

I've tried an Apple one and an Amazon one. :wacko:

When plugged into the Mac, do you at least see photos on your camera in the Image Capture.app?

amdizack

amdizack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

In addition to Scott's suggestion, what version of CCP do you run?

I am running 2.25.0.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Just to check that the adapter is compatible, does Image Capture see the camera? Does Transfer? If you are an Adobe user, does LR, and in that case, can you run tethered from LR?

amdizack

amdizack

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Just to check that the adapter is compatible, does Image Capture see the camera? Does Transfer? If you are an Adobe user, does LR, and in that case, can you run tethered from LR?

Neither of the programs see the camera. The camera "sees" the cable plugged into it but none of the software does. Is there an easy way to verify the adapter is compatible? Apple nor Nikon are able to confirm either way...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Do you live close enough to an Apple store that you can bring the computer, apple adapter, cable and camera in? Showing things in person usually gets better results than trying phone support when there is no script for the phone jockey to follow.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Neither of the programs see the camera. The camera "sees" the cable plugged into it but none of the software does. Is there an easy way to verify the adapter is compatible? Apple nor Nikon are able to confirm either way...

I use the Apple adapter to connect my Nikon to the USB-C port on my phone for transfer to Google Photos... which works fine.

If you have a USB stick available, try plugging it into your Mac via the Apple adapter. If you're able to access that, I would guess this is an Apple driver issue.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Another thing to check would be to launch the System Information.app and click on 'USB' in the sidebar and look to see if the camera is listed under any of the devices/hubs. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apple, macbookpro, d5600, usb-c, cameracontrolpro2