Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how to get rid of haze. i get a lot haze from smoke or sand at coast CFL area

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

for some reason i get tons of haze when i take pictures from beach when its windy or smoke in area. you can see from picture i took also made it hard for my basic tamron 70-300 to get good lock on person too. so by looking at pictures see why quality so bad. i also could not tell on screen if was to much white noise or not. so could not tell if need change 1/500 to lower number to or to high number by making shutter more open or smaller in size. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0345.JPG
  • DSC_0346.JPG
  • DSC_0629.JPG
  • DSC_0614.JPG
  • DSC_0615.JPG
  • DSC_0630.JPG

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Can you post your EXIF data (shutter speed, aperture, ISO)?  Were you using a tripod or monopod?  That information will help us figure out the issue.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

was at 1/500 not sure iso 400 and sure on the other number. for some reason when i take out my 70-300 tamron basic lens and windy at beach i get haze, i was at about what i post in this thread. hard to recall since that was taken long time ago 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The info is part of the image so you should be able to find out in your chosen image editing tool.  Without that info, I would have to guess that it is camera movement...I don't really see any haze, but maybe it is just me...perhaps someone else will chime in...

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I don't really see any haze, but maybe it is just me...perhaps someone else will chime in...

I didn't see haze either--to me it just looked like the focus wasn't quite sharp. But I didn't say anything because I thought I was maybe missing something! :)

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm with Nicole and Tbonz. I don't see any haze either but I do see a bit of camera/subject movement. I also agree that we need more info.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

okay its not haze. but why does pictures do not look so crisp. also looks like white noise off too. every time i take pictures at beach it comes out that way. where pictures not so crisp or color is off. since not right amount off white balance. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

We would need the details I asked about earlier - shutter speed, aperture, ISO and any other unique settings you may have chosen.  I am guessing you were not using a tripod or monopod, but that is useful info as well...Without all of that info, we can only guess...

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Yes, more info please. We have your shutter speed and ISO (1/500 and ISO 400)--what about aperture? I'm guessing along with TBonz that you didn't use a tripod...but you say it was windy, so perhaps there was some movement caused by that? Especially if you have a longish lens?

I also noticed the white balance seemed off, as you mentioned, fallout666. Do you use auto white balance? Or do you use one of the in-camera presets or set it manually? It looks like it might have been set to one of the presets that gave it an unnaturally warm tone.

And here's something else to throw into the mix--maybe it's the lens. I will just say that I haven't had great luck with getting my Tamron lenses to focus quickly--I don't have the 70-300 that you have, but I do have the Tamron 70-200 and the 150-600, and I've frequently been frustrated by the slow focus. Enough so that I will likely upgrade to the Nikon version of the 70-200 (but not the newest version--pretty steep price hike on that one!). I use the 70-200 quite often, so I'm getting used to it, but I still don't find it as easy to achieve tack sharp images as I can with my Nikon lenses.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

not sure if use white balance in auto any more. but when i ever i got take pictures from beach that how it turns out. have not use tripod. i used my monopod few times. but when really windy hard to get good shots. next time i go out to beach i make sure mark down my 1/500 and iso number not sure where to find  aperture on camera 

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
How to view the picture settings with the picture still on the memory card IN the camera (i.e. Mostly after having taken the picture):
- go to display mode to view the captures you have taken (also works with the preview mode when taking a capture)
- press the "down" on the multiselector (i.e. The ring style selector with the OK button in the center, at the back of your camera)
- in the display you will see the most relevant EXIF data for the displayed capture
- you may navigate through your photos in the camera and the EXIF displayed will be updated
- if you don't want to see the EXIF data anymore, press the down on the multiselector again

... works for most, if not all, Nikon DSLRs

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

what issue was it was so sunny out side the little screen i have on camera did not show up good. so you could not see if pictures you took are coming good or not since when i take pictures at that time sun so bright on small screen you look at when want to see if camera is doing job right. hard to tell do to brightness and other issue causing it. its like looking at your cellphone and not be able to see screen good enough. what looked like came in focus or looks good can not tell. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I shoot quite often in harsh sun.  You may need to move around, put your body between the sun and the camera or whatever to see the screen, but it can be done easily.  Looking through the viewfinder before shooting should also tell you the settings regardless of the mode you use.  Do you ever look at that or do you just assume the camera is going to decide the right settings?  To me it looks like your shutter speed - whatever it was - was too slow...it was fine for the exposure, but so slow that the image was blurred by your movement or the wind moving the lens.  Therefore you would need to increase your shutter speed and adjust the other settings accordingly.  Note that as I have said several times above, it would be much easier to determine if you would provide the data that we asked about.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I have a Tamron 70-300.  It is not that sharp, particularly on the long end.  When I purchased the 70-200 I stopped using the 300 altogether.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

i figure it out. for some reason pictures look better on camera screen then downloading them to computer at times. not  sure why if copy or cut them to download to computer it does this. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The image doesn't change...it is much easier to see problems with the larger computer screen...We are attempting to help you fix the problems so that the images will look fine on either screen...

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

When I enlarge your photos to the size of my computer screen (a lot bigger) they do not look hazy at all. The colors are better, too. But they do not look like they are in proper focus. Either you have a bum lens or your camera-to-photoshop-or-whatever is not working so hot.

BennyFr

BennyFr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

But the pics aren't hazy. I'd rather agree with the statement they lack some bright colors. With modern photo editors it is not a problem at all, there are plenty of color effects.