Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Teleconverters, Opinions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

What is everyone's opinions on Teleconverters?   There is some pretty inexpensive brands out there for all makes of cameras.   Nikon has a double or 2x for around $500 compared to $200 for the off brands.  I don't think I would ever entertain the off brands but maybe the Nikon.  Has anyone used these and your experience.

Teleconverter

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

All three current Nikon TC-s work remarkably well with the f/2.8 and f/4 tele primes and the f/2.8 70-200/2.8 as they are calculated to match the Nikkors. The third-party TC-s are still better than cropping, but not very good. I am not sure how well the D7200 AF copes with the loss of light, I have mostly used them on the D810.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

All three current Nikon TC-s work remarkably well with the f/2.8 and f/4 tele primes and the f/2.8 70-200/2.8 as they are calculated to match the Nikkors. The third-party TC-s are still better than cropping, but not very good. I am not sure how well the D7200 AF copes with the loss of light, I have mostly used them on the D810.

I would be using it with my Nikon 80 - 400mm lens.   Nikon AF-S NIKKOR f/4.5-5.6G ED VR    If Lensrentals has one I may just rent it and see how it turns out.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
A 2x TC will make that lens an F9-11. Good luck with autofocus with those apertures.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

A 2x TC will make that lens an F9-11. Good luck with autofocus with those apertures.

So even renting would be a waste of my time then  !!

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

So even renting would be a waste of my time then !!

It depends on what your expectations are. If it is sports or wildlife with challenging focus conditions... I think you'll be pretty disappointed.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

It depends on what your expectations are. If it is sports or wildlife with challenging focus conditions... I think you'll be pretty disappointed.

mostly small birds.  With my 400 mm I just can't get close enough.   I do some eagles

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

I had a bad experience with my 1.4x sigma!!

The auto focus was really slow

The quality was bad,when I CROPPED (2000 wasted clicks)

If you want to shot eagles in a bright sky,I think the light will not be your problem so you should give a try!

Right now with other objects and auto ISO, be prepared for big numbers on your camera!

My opinion is the 1.4x for start and then you will see

Calibrate your combo !!

I shoot with my sigma 300mm 2.8 prime and I'm getting better results

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have a Nikon 1.4TC and have used it with my Nikon 200-400 and 70-200.  I would tend to agree that it might be a bit of a challenge with the 80-400, but I might try renting the 1.7 and decide if it is worth renting the 1.4 or the 2x based on the results of the 1.7...rental for a weekend or a week shouldn't be too much!

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I have a Nikon 1.4TC and have used it with my Nikon 200-400 and 70-200.  I would tend to agree that it might be a bit of a challenge with the 80-400, but I might try renting the 1.7 and decide if it is worth renting the 1.4 or the 2x based on the results of the 1.7...rental for a weekend or a week shouldn't be too much!

I have a credit at Lensrentals for something being shipped late. The credit more than covers the rental of any of the TC converters so I would be out nothing. I just may give it a shot. My 80-400 lens when focusing is twice as fast as all my other lens.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a credit at Lensrentals for something being shipped late. The credit more than covers the rental of any of the TC converters so I would be out nothing. I just may give it a shot. My 80-400 lens when focusing is twice as fast as all my other lens.

Be curious to read about your results.

atiq1960

atiq1960

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a 1.4TC iii which I use with 300mm e pf in a d500 body
Gives me a fixed 600+ mm at a very light weight and excellent resolution. It's a bird in flight rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Out of curiosity I checked on the Nikon 1.4TC at the Nikon web site. I currently have nothing that is even remotely compatible with this thing although one can dream....

According to Nikon, the 1.4TC III is compatible with the AF-S 80-400VR when used with a f8 compatible body. I'm assuming those would be D8xx and maybe D5xx and D4/5 bodies. The main incompatibility seems to be in the AF which is understandable considering the amount of light that's being prevented from reaching the AF module. I'm assuming that manual focus would still be possible although as one who struggled with 2x converters on old f/8 CAT lenses, I can state with certainty that focusing will NOT be fun... nor fast. 

As an aside, apparently the 1.4TC II is incompatible with the 80-400. At least from what I gather.

--Ron

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
FYI... The D7200 has one F8 compatible focus point (center). The other bodies you mention have more.
  • Ron likes this

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

I have just purchased a TC17E II for use with my 70-200 f2.8 lens a few weeks ago. I was previously using a Sigma 100-300 f4 with Sigma x1.4 TC (both now for sale!).

Unfortunately, I have not yet tried the TC with my 70-200 lens! I really must try get out with it! If I do find the time to get out with it soon, i will post and let you know how it is.

I did try a friends TC20e III (on my 70-200 f2.8) and it seemed fine, but I wanted a slightly faster lens and having read up a lot decided to go with the TC17 as a compromise. I couldn't justify buying a new lens for the few occasions that I need the extra reach, much as I'd like to, so common sense (and bank manager) kicked in.

My partner uses a Kenko PRO300 1.4 TC with her Canon 70-200 f4 and it seems to produce reasonable results. She has a canon x2 TC but it does not autofocus with her f4 lens unless it is via live view (which does work remarkably well if a little slow). The Kenko also allows her to use it with her Tamron 150-600 lens, again using live view to autofocus. So I wouldn't rule out a Kenko TC.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Here is a link to a Compatibility Chart that was sent to me by Nikon.    It looks to me I can only use a 1.4 and hope to have any Auto Focus on my 80 to 400mm.  The way I read this I can go higher up to 2.0 but strictly would have to be Manual Focus??   Which my eyes are not the best looking into the view finder and if a moving object would be disastrous for me.  Going with a 1.4 and  having a chance at Auto Focus I don't think really gets one to far at 560mm making it worth it?

I can rent on free at Lensrentals with the credit I have so may try the 1.4 and see how it works.   Or maybe the 1.7 and give my Manual Focus a try.  Maybe if I force myself to use Manual I would get better.

Decisions Decisions.   LOL

Compatibility Chart 

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Going with a 1.4 and  having a chance at Auto Focus I don't think really gets one to far at 560mm making it worth it?

Decisions Decisions.   LOL

IIRC didn't you try the 80-400 before you bought it? 400mm on a DX body is pretty good reach, but if you really need way more than that I might suggest cutting the 80-400 loose rather than investing more into it (with rather poor usability and possibly questionable image quality). The Tamron 150-600 amounts to 900mm (35mm) equivalent and is simply as much reach as you can get without spending 10 G's or more.

Guessing you could pick one up easily for what you could recover from the 80-400 plus the price of a TC. I've seen results from this lens that are quite impressive, and you will have autofocus with it.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

IIRC didn't you try the 80-400 before you bought it? 400mm on a DX body is pretty good reach, but if you really need way more than that I might suggest cutting the 80-400 loose rather than investing more into it (with rather poor usability and possibly questionable image quality). The Tamron 150-600 amounts to 900mm (35mm) equivalent and is simply as much reach as you can get without spending 10 G's or more.Guessing you could pick one up easily for what you could recover from the 80-400 plus the price of a TC. I've seen results from this lens that are quite impressive, and you will have autofocus with it.

Yes I did try out the 80-400 before I purchased it. I will never let it go. It does about 90% of all my shots. And before I purchased the 80-400 I also tried out a Sigma 200-600 I thin it was. Big heavy bulky thing compared to the 80-400 and was not impressed with it.. Although I was told the lens had an issue with it.

I just started shooting some small birds in my back yard and felt it would be nice if I had a bit more zoom and ran across the converters. Not knowing about them or any experienc this was the place to ask.

I know very little about photography and this is more a learning process. I would only rent a TC for something possibly

years down the road. If small birds would be my thing it would be a different story and I would have not purchased the 80-400.
Here is a picture of one of the bluebirds I have in my back yard. Even cropped it turned out pretty good.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
Is this the older screw drive AF model, or the newer AF-S one?

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Is this the older screw drive AF model, or the newer AF-S one?

AF-S NIKKOR 80 - 400mm 1:4-5.6G ED