Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF-P or AF-S 70-300 better for D5500

d5500 af-p af-s 70-300

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Nemiscar

Nemiscar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Need help, is AF-P or AF-S 70-300 vr better for the D5500. I know the AF-S is older full frame and the AF-P is newer made for DX. Just not sure which would be better.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The pulse motor should be quite a bit faster to focus.  I'd go for that if you're shooting DX.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That depends on whether you will switch between tripod use and handheld often and if you want to focus manually from time to time. As the AF and VR are controlled by the body on the AF-P, you will have to go into the menus to change settings instead of just flipping a switch on the older lens. Optically, there is little difference on a DX body.

Nikon_Nut

Nikon_Nut

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
I bought the AF-P version a couple weeks ago and although it felt faster to focus on my D7200, I didn't like the extra stop loss at 300mm versus the AF-S. Also, the lens is a good bit narrower in width than the AF-S and just felt and looked cheaper. I returned it and got the AF-S.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d5500, af-p, af-s, 70-300