Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blacklight photography question

black light photo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Camera N00b

Camera N00b

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa Ontario

Hey guys, I am planning a blacklight photo shoot and want to use strobes but don't have a ton of money. 

I was thinking of using 2 of these sync'd together with a UV filter taped on: https://www.amazon.c...PO6RVX7MC&psc=1

What do you think? Needs to be strobe because a continuous light would be way too dark and hot.

I currently have a Nikon SB700 but not sure if it has a UV protection filter in it so putting a UV filter on it would be pointless. but maybe I could use it to trigger other cheaper flashes? 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Forgive me but I'm drawing a blank there (probably because I'm old and missing a few (many?) brain cells. Why do you need UV protection on your flash?

Also, It's not clear from your post as to whether you want to use natural back lighting (aka the sun) or if you're planning to create artificial back lighting using strobes. 

I've had pretty good luck using my popup flash with naturally back lit subjects. I usually drag the shutter a bit to lighten up the background and dial down the flash a bit so that it looks more natural. You can do the same thing with your SB-700 either on or off camera. If off camera you need to dial down your popup flash (if you're using that to trigger your slaves) or use either an SU-800 or radio controls to pop your flashes.

If you're planning to create your own back lighting using strobes then you need to work out a balance between your front strobe and back strobe so that one doesn't overpower the other.

--Ron

Camera N00b

Camera N00b

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa Ontario

no, not backlight, blacklight. UV lighting basically.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

oops! Never mind! LOL

--Ron

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

UV filters remove the light from the ultra violet spectrum. This is the opposite of what you want to achieve to create "black light." You need a light source that creates light in the ultra violet wavelength. As far as I know these are only constant lights.

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag

As dcbear said, attaching a UV filter to a flash is not going to make a UV source.

You need a UV transmitter, not a filter!

Have a look at these articles:

DIY: An Ultraviolet Flash for Black Light Photography | PetaPixel

Having Fun With Black Light Photography

Camera N00b

Camera N00b

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa Ontario

that's what I meant lol

yeah, I read both of those but want to know what I can do for lighting lol. I want to use strobe cause lighting and constant light is HOT.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black light, photo