Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

what to do with revere 40 camera grandpa had now mine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i never see camera like this or heard about camera like this. so what should i do with it. not sure if can get film for it or not. not sure if still works or not. and how to use it. since it did not come with user manual. yes camera from late 50's to mid 50's. here full name of item 

Revere 40 8mm Movie Camera, Vintage Camera, Movie Camera, Camera

pic from internet 

https://img1.etsysta...687153_4m2t.jpg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

8mm movie film is readily available at places like B&H. You might check the Revere 40 listing on this site for your manual.

Beyond that, I can't help you. I've never messed with 8mm movie cameras.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks for the help. was not sure where to go. i have person locally that wants to see it and he can help but film hard part. must likely art piece to have at house. 

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

You could buy some film and make some 8mm movies. You could just put it on a shelf and admire it. I seem to recall somebody came out with "instant" 8mm movie film but I don't know if that ideas died or not. The world is awash with those old 8mm and Super 8 mm movie cameras and pretty much has no idea of what to do with them. You'd think they would be good for somethng.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I was kinda surprised to find that Tri-X Super 8 film is still available. The cameras themselves seem to be available for very little money on the used market.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

found out from friend in the area. when we open it up i missing tape reel for it. with that being said going to be art piece to have around house. 

• Ron likes this

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

Not entirely sure, but I don't think that's an ordinary Standard 8 camera, I've an idea it uses some sort of cartridge (but NOT super 8), and won't work with just the ordinary 8mm film reel to reel. But I could be wrong, it's at least 20 years since I've handled one.

You could buy some film and make some 8mm movies. You could just put it on a shelf and admire it. I seem to recall somebody came out with "instant" 8mm movie film but I don't know if that ideas died or not. The world is awash with those old 8mm and Super 8 mm movie cameras and pretty much has no idea of what to do with them. You'd think they would be good for somethng.

Polaroid briefly flirted with instant movie film - Polavision, in the late 70s. It was horrible. They couldn't make it with a clear base so it needed a special viewer that worked with light reflected off the film, and gave a LOT less light output for a given power of lamp. I think that they never came up with a projector bright enough to use a large screen, they used gadgets like big film editing units with translucent screens instead. It died very fast, partly because the equipment was useless for anything else, and partly because video cameras got smaller, lighter, and cheaper around the same time. It was pretty much dead by 1980.

later - forgot to say that I was an educational lab technician then and they were trying VERY hard to persuade schools to buy the gear - I don't think anyone did, because that was when everyone was switching from reel-to-reel videotape to VCR, and you would have had to be mad to go for another incompatible format.

Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLondon

OK, I was remembering the Polavision technology wrong - it was clear film, it just transmitted a lot less light than ordinary film which is why it needed special viewers and wouldn't work with a standard projector. I think their 35mm slide film had similar problems.

Found some info on the Revere here - I was right that it's a cartridge loader

http://www.jollinger...ere_8Mod40.html