Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon Announces 3 new Lenses Including Fish eye!

nikon lens new fish eye

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Camera N00b

Camera N00b

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa Ontario

Nikon announced 3 new lenses today!

the AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.4E ED, AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, and AF-S Fisheye NIKKOR 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED! Check it out!

Nikon Unveils 3 New Lenses: A 28mm f/1.4, 10-20mm, and 8-15mm | PetaPixel

What do you think?

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm an old bird and don't personally have much use for a very fast short or long lens but I know other folks have a different attitude. That fisheye is interesting to me, though.

Camera N00b

Camera N00b

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOttawa Ontario

Yeah, the fish eye is WAY overdue haha, good to see they made a new one. 

I do not understand the point of 28mm though.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i would like to know more about 10-20 wide angle lens. with price being under 350$ looks like good entry level wide angle lens for that size range.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

This is a mixed bag. The most interesting lens... at least to me, is the fisheye. I just wish it weren't so expensive. Money is a four letter word these days and that thing cost a lot of scratch. Especially for a lens that will (at best) see limited use.

The DX 10-20mm is terribly limited in that the list of cameras it won't work with is far longer than the list of cameras it will work with. Basically, it's made for just the latest Nikon DX cameras. I'm not even sure if it supports the D7200. The reason for this is the fact that, so I understand, you have to crawl into the camera's menus to enable or disable VR and the M/AM settings (which no longer have dedicated switches on the lens itself). However, if you do happen to own a camera that it will work with it may be hard to resist. Especially at this price point. In any case, I would wait and see how it performs in the hands of early adopters and what kind of reviews it garners before plucking down my bucks.

The 28mm f/1.4 is the other "pro" lens. If you lust for this thing then you either have serious aspirations or serious mommy issues. In either case disposable income is NOT a problem.

NikonUSA has a page here with all the gory details.

--Ron

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

i would like to know more about 10-20 wide angle lens.

The DX 10-20mm is terribly limited in that the list of cameras it won't work with is far longer than the list of cameras it will work with... I'm not even sure if it supports the D7200... you have to crawl into the camera's menus to enable or disable VR and the M/AM settings (which no longer have dedicated switches on the lens itself). However, if you do happen to own a camera that it will work with it may be hard to resist. Especially at this price point.

It does not support the D7200… only D7500, D5600, D5500, D5300, D3400, D3300, D500 and later models. It really looks like a UWA kit lens, complete with plastic mount.

While I guess I can't argue the build quality for the price (seems they went directly after the Canon 10-18 F4.5-5.6 - about time I guess), and I'm pretty certain it will be good optically. But, for $190 more, the new Tamron gives a metal mount, weather sealing, a better focus ring with distance scale, physical switches for autofocus and VR, a full stop more light, greater zoom range, electro-magnetic aperture (which works in Live View/video), and support for more cameras going back as far as D300.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It does not support the D7200… only D7500, D5600, D5500, D5300, D3400, D3300, D500 and later models. It really looks like a UWA kit lens, complete with plastic mount.

While I guess I can't argue the build quality for the price (seems they went directly after the Canon 10-18 F4.5-5.6 - about time I guess), and I'm pretty certain it will be good optically. But, for $190 more, the new Tamron gives a metal mount, weather sealing, a better focus ring with distance scale, physical switches for autofocus and VR, a full stop more light, greater zoom range, electro-magnetic aperture (which works in Live View/video), and support for more cameras going back as far as D300.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been seeing on the interwebs. Most knowledgeable people are saying that, while it's nice for the price, you can do a lot better for just a little more money by going the aftermarket route. This clearly looks like an attempt on the part of Nikon to fill a niche and I'm sure (assuming the optics are decent) that it will be moderately popular. It's hidden purpose, of course, is to drive sales of newer cameras. I'm less confident about that happening. Especially with the plastic mount and other trade-offs. But who knows.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, lens, new, fish eye