Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hello, new/old Nikon user nere

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

jayadeff

jayadeff

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, my name is Jay Adeff and I'm located in the Monterey Bay area of California.

I was a Nikon user in my film days and then switched to Canon when I went digital in 2003. Now I'm slowly going back to Nikon, at least partially. I mainly photograph figure skating competitions for US Figure Skating. I also do some commercial, wedding, and portrait work.

I purchased a used Nikon 200-400 f/4 VR last year and a D750 to go with it. This was less than half the cost of a used Canon 200-400 f/4L. From my personal experience, having used both lenses, they are identical in image quality. What I discovered is that Nikon's autofocus is better than Canon's! But I'm sure everyone here already knew that. I've joined this forum because I'm considering slowly migrating over to Nikon for everything.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel Valley -- I love it all. You are a lucky guy. I love Nikon but I do say use what works. And don't worry about the brand name. The "other guy" might have a special lens or something that works for you in certain circumstances and there's now law says you can't use more than one brand. I was the devil himself in Hollywood with a Nikon F, a Leica M2R and a Yashicamat (foreign buyers loved 120-size color slides.)