Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Onboard D Lighting and quick re-touch

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

I've tried these two features to brighten some aircraft photos where the undersides were too dark.  It seemed to help.

Do you all use these features, or do they equate to "auto" mode type of settings?

In jpeg format, if these features do help a shot, and then it is going to be processed later, would it be better to use the original, or the one that was re touched with D lighting effect?

Thanks in advance.

Zen

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

You have very little chance to succeed, Zen. Your are facing the

greatest extent of DR one can handle… without supporting light

because your subject is waaaay too far.

The solution is in the shooting position: see to have the Sun be-

hind you — any other position will make is almost impossible. 

Shooting RAW will ease the PP after the shoot, jpg will not.

Good luck!

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for your input, Nikon Shooter.  

I tried applying the 3 different levels each of the D Lighting and Quick Retouch effects.

Here is an example DL at max level compared to the original shot.  It brought out a lot of detail in the dark underside of the aircraft, especially when I zoom in on the full sized file.  The mid level was probably better looking, and took less color out of the sky.

I expect that a good editing program will do the same, but I'm starting out and haven't chosen one yet.

I thought it was interesting, for an internal effect, but I've been in the dark ages regarding photography up until a few weeks ago ... learning in stages.

Zener

3rrwrC4.jpg

RxSXLyW.jpg

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Would it be possible to get hold of an original RAW?

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

I only shot them in jpeg fine large.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

That is the reason I shoot RAW: full access to the recorded

data. Jpgs throw away too much of the data that would ma-

ke recovery possible.

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, I know what you're saying about shooting in raw.  I've been just starting to read up, and I'm sure I'll eventually try it.  I've always just used point and shoot cameras for taking pics for work, and for recording my experiences, trips, etc., with no post production, and most of my photos came out fairly well for the purpose intended.  I'm not a pro, or selling my work.

Now that I have a real camera, I realize that I'm going to have to get into PP, and will probably shoot the raw files.  

Overall, I like what the D Lighting effects did to help my jpeg aircraft photos.  I working on getting permission for some additional locations, and the next time I shoot the aircraft, I'll try dual mode, because regardless of where the sun is, the undersides are usually shaded.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Good evening Zener,

I dare suggest you a rendition from the powerful converter

I use for my work. Sure, from RAW it would be even better!

RxSXLyWp.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It might be worth experimenting with the [LS]Landscape Picture Control and ADL set to Normal. ADL uses another algorithm than the after the fact DL setting and the results are more subtle. If you shoot in Raw+jpeg, you will have the .NEF available for editing if the .jpg doesn't turn out like you want it to. If you use Capture NX-D, the software will use all the in-camera settings as a starting point. All other raw converters start from a non-tweaked raw file.

zener

zener

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks so much for replying, guys.  This is very helpful.

NikonShooter, that looks beautiful!  I had been wondering what one of my shots would look like with professional processing, so this inspires me – thank you.  Even for jpeg it looks great - I can only imagine if you had the raw file.  You even brought out the green pine needles on the left edge.  Did you notice?  That is a pine tree that shows up in the foreground of the next shot.  So are you a trained professional with expensive converters, or can I expect to get satisfactory results with a free program and some practice / study?

Merco, thanks.  I had to read through that a couple of times to let it all soak in, but yes those are great suggestions.  I wasn’t sure if folks used those picture control settings on the camera much, or if they were considered gimmicks for beginners, like auto mode.  My gear is new, I still haven’t read the full manual yet or gone deep into those manual adjustments.  It was spur of the moment and jets were zooming over with little notice … I put it on program mode, continuous, and hoped for the best.  I had little time, and had to be more focused on the logistics of driving in a busy city, finding the locations, and being inconspicuous.  I think I also would have been better with bracketing that day because there were huge clouds, with constant change from bright sun to dark skies.

Is Capture part of the free Nikon bundle?  I think all I have is View NX2.

I was surprised I got as many good ones as I did.  The camera is starting to impress me, and is inspiring me to keep reading and learning.  I know I’m only at the tip of the iceberg.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

NikonShooter, that looks beautiful!

Glad you like it!

I had been wondering what one of my shots would look like with professional processing, so this inspires me – thank you. 

Most welcome!

You even brought out the green pine needles on the left edge.  Did you notice?

Yup! :P

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

So are you a trained professional with expensive converters, or can I expect to get satisfactory results with a free program and some practice / study?

Just one converter, my friend… and yes, you may well expect

"satisfactory results" with most converters given the work is

done on a RAW file… that would help a lot! Have a good time!