Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Meet up In Scotland

scotland

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I was thinking of having a "Photo Safari" in Glasgow. It's a great city to wander about during the day. Wondered if anyone else was up for joining me.

Any Visitors coming from overseas and wanted to meet up for a wander round the city...most welcome.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I'd love love to INyoni but sadly that would be a six hour drive for me :(

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Having been brought up in Maryhill Glasgow, I would really enjoy doing a photo safari around Glasgow, particularly with it having such a wide range of buildings, parks and people. I was up there recently and visited the Art Gallery and Museum.

Jocktog

Jocktog

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm also Glasgow born and bred and now down south. I have just returned from a trip home and a little tour of Scotland. I'm not sure of my next visit but I'll keep a look out incase you have a meet up or photowalk arranged that may coincide with one of my visits. 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I shouldn't have read this post--now I'll be yearning for an airplane ticket to join you all...

I spent a couple of weeks in your lovely country and nearly died from the gorgeousness of it all! (A little hyperbole for emphasis.) And we nearly froze in July. :)

Thinking of all the places I'd love to get back to so I can take better photos this time around...the Isle of Skye, Orkney Mainland, Edinburgh, Stirling... Never made it to Glasgow though.

People were so friendly and helpful too. I love your country. (I love mine too.)

Hope you have a lovely meetup!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I shouldn't have read this post--now I'll be yearning for an airplane ticket to join you all...

I spent a couple of weeks in your lovely country and nearly died from the gorgeousness of it all! (A little hyperbole for emphasis.) And we nearly froze in July. :)

Thinking of all the places I'd love to get back to so I can take better photos this time around...the Isle of Skye, Orkney Mainland, Edinburgh, Stirling... Never made it to Glasgow though.

People were so friendly and helpful too. I love your country. (I love mine too.)

Hope you have a lovely meetup!

You've given me a great idea for a trip this weekend, I live 10 minutes from Stirling, think I'll pop over and get some shots of the Castle...Thats if the weather holds, we have flood warnings for tmro. Just love the Scottish weather.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

There is a cracking recent movie release called 'Sunshine on Leith' which don't expect will be shown in the USA but will probably eventually be available on DVD. It is a musical based on the music of the Proclaimers (500 miles, letter to America etc) and the excellent scenery shots will provide loads of ideas for future photo shoots. However, the only downside is that it is the Edinburgh area (joke - actually stunning views/buildings).

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

iNyoni, the Wallace Monument is in Stirling too, isn't it? Along with a...bridge of some significance? I can't remember, darn it. Stirling would be a great trip, and you're only 10 minutes away--it kills me.

Scottish weather. Oh my. As I said, we were freezing in July. I still remember the tour guide at Stirling Castle proclaiming that Scotland had been shafted once again because you all hadn't gotten your share of global warming. 

Tony, I'll have to keep my eye out for that DVD...

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I was there 25 years ago. I would love to visit again some day. Gorgeous country.

Antony McAulay

Antony McAulay

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHelsingborg, Sweden

Rob

As a Native Glaswegian myself I would be interested in participating in such a meet up next time i'm over visiting the kinsfolk.

I try to to visit home at least once a year so maybe it's something we can set up for next year?

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I have got tickets for the Scotland v England Rugby match at Murrayfield on the 8th Feb, looking forward to singing 'Flower of Scotland' at the start of the game and some great rugby. Now for the million dollar question, what camera and lens kit do I take along for an occasion like this. Always find I am too far away from the action to get decent photographs of play, think it is more people and reaction shots I will be looking for. Thoughts anyone?

I was thinking of having a "Photo Safari" in Glasgow. It's a great city to wander about during the day. Wondered if anyone else was up for joining me.

Any Visitors coming from overseas and wanted to meet up for a wander round the city...most welcome.

Sorry Rob, but will be only up for a short time and taking a Welsh and Fijian pal, so don't think I will be able to meet up this time. However, if anything changes will give you a shout.

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Hey Rob, so where exactly are you based near Stirling? You said you were 10 minutes from the town, I am also 10 minutes from Stirling. I am a member of Stirling District Camera Club and also part of the Forth Valley Photographers Network (closed Facebook Group of like-minded people that meets every second week for a coffee in Alloa for a general chat about all things including photography!). Its a small world out there!

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Tony, I have been to Murrayfield a few times and never taken my camera. Even with my 300mm lens with 1.4TC attached I would probably be too far away for action shots! Where are your seats? I have either been way up in the Heavens or in Corporate when I have been there in the past. In the Corporate area, my camera/lens would probably have been OK as this area is on the junction of the North and West Stands with a good view of the try-line, but I thought it better not to take my camera under the circumstances at the time. Do you know if you are East/West Stand or North/South? If North/South, you will be behind the try-line. If you are West stand, there is usually a lot going on before the game starts and the teams will emerge from under the West Stand and will face the West stand for the anthems. There will be fireworks and these big flame-thrower things that have become common-place. There have also been Army personnel abseiling down from the West stand along with a Piper standing on top of the Stand! Oh, and the Red Hot Chilli Pipers (that's PIPERS not Peppers!) will most likely entertain the crowds in the centre of the pitch prior to kick off and that is always entertaining! For sure, if you want people and atmosphere shots, get there early and take shots in and around the stadium, Princess Anne will most likely be in attendance and her car will travel past the south Stand en-route the West Stand where her seating is, so you may catch a glimpse of her. I have seen plenty of people take their SLR's in, but not sure if you would get in with a huge backpack full of gear, perhaps better to take a shoulder sling bag if you have it. And if you are really, really lucky, you never know, the trams may even be working by that time (but don't hold your breath!). My partner is a good old Yorkshire Lass so cricket and rugby are among her favorite sports and she is well annoyed that we can never get tickets for this game! We would have loved to go to this one, but I know it sold out months ago and even using my contacts within the rugby world I was unable to get tickets for this. Looking at your kit, I would go with the 70-300mm for any chance of shots of the game/pre match entertainment and maybe the 35mm for wider angle shots form around the outside of the stadium. Your D7100 will allow you to use a higher ISO setting with lower noise so you can get the faster shutter speeds in the lower light levels at that time of the year especially if you use your 70-300mm hand-held, so that would be my weapon of choice. Do you use the auto-ISO function at all? If not, read up on it and consider using it with your camera in Shutter priority so you set the shutter speed and let the camera sort the ISO out. with your 70-300mm you will need a minimum shutter speed of 1/focal length for hand held and if shooting the rugby action possibly even 1/500 minimum @ f8 to try get sharp images. To get  your kit in to the stadium, you could always split your kit up separately into a body and two lenses and ask your mates to carry a piece each so it doesn't look as big! The chances of being frisked going through the tight turnstiles is very slim. Enjoy the game you very lucky person! I am not jealous in the slightest! Not!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hi, I stay in Larbert, so not that far from Stirling, ok maybe 15 mins. I'll check out your Facebook page Ross.

havent been on the forum really for a couple of weeks or even managed to get any picture...hopefully the new year will be better, I really need to get out with my 7100.

Tony....you lucky man, enjoy the game, i'm sure Scotland will win... :P .

m1xzg

m1xzg

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
Did this ever happen? I live in Cambridge but I might be up for something like this. I tried to get up to Glasgow last Jan for Celtic Connection week but got let down by the trains... I know, shocking right? LOL. I'd drive up this time hah

AJSimpson

AJSimpson

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

I spent a lot of time photographing  the streets of Glasgow, its an incredible City, and the people are brilliant, Where else in the world would thousand of people fight to keep the traffic cone on a statues head ! the City is just buzzing.

Are you aware of a Facebook group, search SCN,  They hold monthly meetings in Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth.  open to everybody. photographer/model/MUA. 

Quite a few people on there meet up and do the Photo safari thing around Glasgow and beyond.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scotland