Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7100 No autofocus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

4Runnin

4Runnin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone. I have a D7100 which I picked up from a family member. When I got the camera back home, I excitedly attached a lens to take some shots, and - no auto focus! I mean NO autofocus. The shutter actuates, but it doesn't focus. No hunting, no nothing. I could hear a click in the lens (AF-S), but no movement. I checked the AF/M switch on both the camera and the lens, both were correct. Checked settings in the camera, and as far as I can tell, correct?

I did have to update the hardware, but of course that didn't do anything.

I am stumped. Is the body malfunctioning? Or is there a setting adjusted that I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brad

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As it is a used body, it might have the focus start assigned to the AE-L/AF-L button. This is a frequently used way of separating AF operation from the shutter button. I don't remember which custom function it is on the D7100, but it should be easy to find in the manual.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Probably that you better start with doing a factory reset of the settings to see if it helps here. Next you might customise the settings and button allocations to your preferences.