Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Brand new Nikon D810 - 300 lens shows BLACK vignette?

d810 lens problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

foxfamily238

foxfamily238

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMilford, Delaware

Help!!!

Just got a brand new Nikon D810. Love it! Had a Nikon DX AF-S 55-300 zoom lens that worked fine on the D3200. But... when I use it on the new D810, I literally see block circle vignette on the lens. Nice effect if I wanted but this is taking a flipping regular picture!!! I'm befuddled why this is doing this!

But NOT in "live" mode!! huh??? what the flip is going on?? We just spend loads of $ on this new camera?

So, it doesn't mess up on the D3200, and on the D810 in live mode, just in the regular viewfinder mode. It's kept in pristine condition. So is the expensive lens messed up or is the brand new camera messed up??

Please help someone! Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC0077.jpg

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Most DX zooms will give you that on a full frame (FX) camera.  You'll want to replace your 55-300mm with the FX 70-300mm lens.

Or put the D810 in DX mode :)

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
As Adam proposed:

The FX sensor in the D810 is larger than the DX sensor in the D3200

It therefore requires to have lenses that project a larger output on the sensor to cover the full sensor surface. The ouput of a DX lens will only cover the center part of the sensor (as shown on your capture).

Setting the camera to DX mode will just save the center part (covered by a DX compliant lens), thus you will have some megapixels (about 55%) unused.

Best is to get some FX lens(es) for using the full potential of your camera. As the output is larger than a DX sensor, they may be used without any problem on your D3200.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yep, you're in the pro league now. You need FX lenses to go with your shiny new D810. Oh, and congratulations!

--Ron

foxfamily238

foxfamily238

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMilford, Delaware

Yep, you're in the pro league now. You need FX lenses to go with your shiny new D810. Oh, and congratulations!

--Ron

Lol. yup, tell me about it! actually JUST got a fantastic deal on the FX 70-300mm for $300. perfect shape. :) Thanks for the congrats! woot!

Most DX zooms will give you that on a full frame (FX) camera.  You'll want to replace your 55-300mm with the FX 70-300mm lens.

Or put the D810 in DX mode :)

Yup. did that. 70-300mm. all fixed lol! :)

• Ron likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d810, lens, problem