Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

banana spider off d5300 with basic tamron 70-300

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

had my nikon d5300 tamron basic 70-300 1/500 shutter number not sure and iso 400. not sure if was full zoom or not or close up shot. took awhile for camera find spider and web. had to keep moving camera zoom or where i was standing to find spider. not sure why so hard for camera to see web and spider. this time spider was huge but still had hard time finding it. do to webs being so thin clear to find. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0394.JPG
  • DSC_0397.JPG

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nice job! There isn't much contrast between the spider, its web, and the background, so it probably was hard for your camera to find something to focus on. Perhaps you might want to try manual focus instead of autofocus for something like this.

I'm a bit of an arachnophobe, so I applaud you for having the stomach to get these shots. :) You said "spider was huge"...I would've been outta there.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

Nice job! There isn't much contrast between the spider, its web, and the background, so it probably was hard for your camera to find something to focus on. Perhaps you might want to try manual focus instead of autofocus for something like this.

I'm a bit of an arachnophobe, so I applaud you for having the stomach to get these shots. :) You said "spider was huge"...I would've been outta there.

my mom use to show me pictures from wound care center back in early 1990's just to stop me from paintballing. so nothing really scare me unless my minor fear of falling. do to fact been up on ladder or fork lift standing on pallet with nothing to hold on to from earthquakes. also it was its pain in the neck to get spider in p mode or any other mode like a and s mode too. 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

So did your mom's plot to stop you from paintballing work? Heh...that's pretty funny. 

Your exposure mode (M, A, P, or S) wouldn't really matter--it's the autofocus that will struggle when it's looking for something to focus on. You can turn the focus to manual--I don't know that particular lens, but most have a switch right on the lens that will turn the autofocus off. Then you'll have to focus manually with the rings on the lens.

Edited to add this image:

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 9.01.16 AM.png

Switch from AF to MF, and then you can manually focus to your heart's content.