Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SnapBridge and iPhone

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Owley

Owley

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Not sure where to post this, but I just DL'd Snapbridge for iPhone and am trying to pair with my D500. It told me to update my firmware which I did, but it continues to tell me to update my firmware when ever I try to pair them. Any suggestions?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What version of the firmware do you have? Snapbridge for iOS requires C:Ver.1.10. This was released on August 31and can be found here. As the update is so new, there might be mirrors out there that still have C:Ver.1.02 as the latest version.

Wiser16

Wiser16

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I just got a Nikon D3400 with current firmware (1.1), downloaded SnapBridge to my iPhone 7. The app seems to be a disaster...I got it to work once. Now it does not recognize the camera. The camera does not recognize bluetooth. I get a black screen on the phone app with a little white circle in the middle that goes around endlessly. Seems there are a lot of bad reviews about SnapBridge. I hope Nikon can fix it soon. A shame they came out with this app when it is almost useless.

BruceLippard

BruceLippard

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I am having the same problem with my D3400, can't turn on the Bluetooth, just get "this option is not available at the current settings or in the camera current state".  What state does it want?  I am not in Airplane mode.

RichieC

RichieC

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I just got the D5600 and I continue to have issues with snapbridge and my iPhoneSE, It seems that there are a lot of bad reviews about the snapbridge app, is anyone having any luck with it? the entire reason I wanted it was so it would geotag all my photos. I need to find a solution to get this to work, Is anyone having success with any type of phone? I would rather stay with my apple products but I would consider changing phones if others are finding success with them.

GrahamProff

GrahamProff

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I just got the D5600 and I continue to have issues with snapbridge and my iPhoneSE, It seems that there are a lot of bad reviews about the snapbridge app, is anyone having any luck with it? the entire reason I wanted it was so it would geotag all my photos. I need to find a solution to get this to work, Is anyone having success with any type of phone? I would rather stay with my apple products but I would consider changing phones if others are finding success with them.

I have exactly the same problem with my new Nikon D5600 if you find the answer to the problem I would be grateful, I also have a problem with my windows phone I cannot download snapbridge on to it, keeps saying 'I have no device' GrahamProff

Nikon.borad

Nikon.borad

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
There's a simple solution for that, Just start location and Bluetooth both in phone then open snap bridge and its working

ALMMRS

ALMMRS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I bought a new Nikon D5600 (latest firmware v1.01) and it has BT (Bluetooth) version 4.1.

SnapBridge will only work with the newer BT 4.x technology (see small print on SnapBridge page, on Nikon website). It reads: A device with BT 4.0 or later (i.e. a device that supports BT Smart Ready/Low Energy).  

You may have the most current iOS on your device, but if you have BT 2.0 embedded in the device it will NEVER work!

This is probably why so many folks have issues, they are trying to pair with smart devices that are not supported, i.e. they have outdated BT technology in their devices. You can look up BT versions on Apple website for each version of iPhone/IPad, so you can check what is actually embedded in your 'smart' device.

What will NOT work: any smart device (iPhone or iPad) with BT 2.x or 3.x.  This version of BT will not work with SnapBridge.  

Even an older Ipad 3 with BT version 4.0 did NOT work (at least I could not get it to work). 

What DOES work: any smart device with BT 4.x (4.1 and above it seems). My new iPhone 5SE with BT 4.2 works just great with SnapBridge.

Embedded BT technology in a device is not 'upgradable', it does not go from 2.0 to 4.2 with a newest version of iOS !!  So even if firmware, and iOS are all current, you are out of luck if you have older devices with embedded BT 2.x, 3.x (and maybe 4.0) technology in it. 

Yes, SnapBridge will turn on the camera's BT function (once you have it working and paired).  You CANNOT turn BT function on yourself in camera settings (greyed out). SnapBridge can also control your camera, so you can take pics remotely using your phone.  SnapBridge uses the WIFI capability of the camera.  The camera is acting as a wireless access point, but ONLY Snapbridge can connect/communicate with it, it seems.

I tried other software to connect to the camera, it will not work. The only other thing to control my D5600 is the Camera Control Pro software (full version).  Comes at a price (see Nikon site), but it works great with my MacBook Pro laptop. 

Snapbridge only works with iOS and Android phones (either one must have BT 4.1 or higher).  Windows platform phones do NOT work with Snapbridge.