Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New member, D810 just got

d810

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Kevgarlic

Kevgarlic

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm a brand new member.  I've been taking photographs for nearly 30 years, and I received the fantastic Nikon D810 a week ago and am enjoying learning, and using

this GREAT camera. (Prior to last week, I've been using the " other " top brand that begins with a "C..."..I don't have anything against that brand, I just want to up my game and learn the ways of the Nikon..)

So looking forward to learning....and getting better.

I am a professional radio producer at a Public Radio Station in Illinois, and a REGULAR part of my job is  posting my radio stories to the WEB along with photographs.  So, my pictures have to be sharp, deep and as noise-free as can be.

I'm going to start off this introductory Post with a question....I had a good photo session today at a park near where I live...several of the photos, as you can see, have a dark "triangle-type" shape in the upper right and upper left corners.  The photograph titled "RiversideParkHighWaterApril29th2017" is a good example.

BUT, on another picture taken at the same place, BUT, at a different angle from the sun, these dark "triangle-type" shapes are not there....F-Y-I..my iso 64....AND, I just thought of this, I was NOT using a lens hood??

Thoughts??  HOPEFULLY nothing is wrong with my brand new D810.

Thanks Forum.

Kevin

Illinois

Attached Thumbnails

• DanielBuildingVertical.jpg
  • RiversideParkBigLawnApril29th2017_01.jpg
  • RiversideParkHighWaterApril29th2017_01.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums.

Which lens did you use? Could you share the EXIF data? What raw converter do you use?

Most lenses vignette, and the high-res bodies show the vignetting more than less demanding bodies do. Correcting vignetting in post is trivial and most, if not all, raw converters have lens libraries so you only need to activate the correction to get rid of it.

If the aperture was closed down a bit more in the photo of the building, that would explain the degree of vignetting visible. 

Kevgarlic

Kevgarlic

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the quick reply Merco.

I have attached screen shots of the Exif information, and also the original photographs.

Basically the two shots of the grassy expanse were BOTH shot at 1/200, F-9, Matrix Metering, ISO125 using the

Nikkor 24-120mm AF-S VR Lens.

The Daniel Building was shot at 1/80, and YES, with a smaller aperture of F13, Matrix Metering, and LOWER ISO of 64.

My converter was the supplied Nikon View NX2

I thought that vignetting might be the issue---glad it's not the camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• DanielBuildingVerticalExifinformation.jpg
  • RiversideParkHighWaterExifInformation.jpg
  • RiversideParkBigLawnEXIFInformationScreenSho.jpg
  • RiversideParkBigLawnEXIFInformationScreenShot.jpg
  • DanielBuildingVertical.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I don't think ViewNX 2 has vignetting correction. Capture NX-D does have it, though even if it is a manual correction. The 24-120 is well known for vignetting even with quite small apertures. I am not sure if activating the vignetting control in the camera carries over to NEFs processed in ViewNX or CaptureNX or if it is only for jpegs. It is probably better to run the vignetting control in post as it is a bit heavyhanded in-camera.

NikonDiva

NikonDiva

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm a brand new member.  I've been taking photographs for nearly 30 years, and I received the fantastic Nikon D810 a week ago and am enjoying learning, and using

this GREAT camera. (Prior to last week, I've been using the " other " top brand that begins with a "C..."..I don't have anything against that brand, I just want to up my game and learn the ways of the Nikon..)

So looking forward to learning....and getting better.

I am a professional radio producer at a Public Radio Station in Illinois, and a REGULAR part of my job is  posting my radio stories to the WEB along with photographs.  So, my pictures have to be sharp, deep and as noise-free as can be.

I'm going to start off this introductory Post with a question....I had a good photo session today at a park near where I live...several of the photos, as you can see, have a dark "triangle-type" shape in the upper right and upper left corners.  The photograph titled "RiversideParkHighWaterApril29th2017" is a good example.

BUT, on another picture taken at the same place, BUT, at a different angle from the sun, these dark "triangle-type" shapes are not there....F-Y-I..my iso 64....AND, I just thought of this, I was NOT using a lens hood??

Thoughts??  HOPEFULLY nothing is wrong with my brand new D810.

Thanks Forum.

Kevin

Illinois

Welcome Kevgarlic, looking forward to becoming better with the Nikon Family

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Did you have a filter on the lens? I had exactly the same trouble with my 24-120D when I used a certain filter that was not made for wide angle lenses. If I removed the filter or used a wide angle version the vignetting problem went away. The effect was more pronounced at the wide end of the zoom range and from the screen shots you posted, all of these photos were taken at 24mm.

This is something that's really easy to check. Just take the filter off and shoot a picture of the sky or a light colored area at 24mm and check the images in Lightroom or Photoshop, etc.

--Ron

Kevgarlic

Kevgarlic

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi Ron... yes, I sure did have a filter over the lens with these shots.. a Polarizer... Makes total sense. I'll take off the polarizer then and that should help tremendously. PLUS, since Polarizers cut down on the amount of light hitting my sensor, that will be a plus in some of my shots. Thanks for replying.
Kevin
  • Ron likes this

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

as Ron suggested, I too, use a ND .09 filter on my D750 with a Sigma 24-105, and can get vignetting with a narrower f stop..  So lesson learned.

And, Welcome to the Forum.  Where in ILL?

Kevgarlic

Kevgarlic

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Deano...yep, looks like lesson has been learned.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.....I am in the far southern part of Illinois, near Marion Illinois,

which is very close to Southern Illinois University in Carbondale if you know where that is.

Kevin

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I am familiar with even further south, Metropolis, on the Ohio, where my in laws are from and retired to after a life in Chicago.  Lots of greenery.

Kevgarlic

Kevgarlic

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Country Flag
Oh yes. LOT of greenery and if you go farther south to the southernmost tip of Illinois you reach the point where the Ohio River and Mississippi Rivers meet. Steeped in history. Just a great area.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d810