Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Please Help ED 80-200 f/2.8 (twist) prevent M/A Ring cracking?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

USP

USP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Recently bought an 80-200 (twist NOT push/pull) and a 20-35, both heavy pro older style D lenses.  The 80-200 is still a current model, but the 20-35 seems to have been discontinued. 

I am concerned because I have seen countless examples of both of these on the market with broken M/A Selector Rings.  In fact, the 20-35 I bought had to be returned to the seller for repair because of a cracked selector ring when I opened the box.  If you do a Google search, there are countless reports of people having these rings break, even people who swear they never even used the switch.  The repair costs anywhere from $175 to $300 according to reports. 

My thinking is that there must be a few pros on here who are very familiar with the problem, and who might have some advice on my preventing it from happening to me.  I called Nikon, and two different reps told me that Nikon has never heard of this problem, and therefore has zero advice for me.  Please help if you can!

Many thanks!

USP

USP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Slow forum I guess. . .

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

We are well aware of the problem, shared by many lenses of that vintage. Nikon have never acknowledged the weakness. There is not much you can do, except keeping your lenses insured, so the repair only costs you the deductible. 

If the ring cracks, it can be repaired DIY by making a reinforcement of 1/16" 6000-series Dural and mounting with marine epoxy over the crack.

• USP likes this

USP

USP

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you Merco_61

I'll keep your advice in mind.  Have you any idea what causes the crack?  I realize there is a weakness there near the screw, but does it usually crack from pushing too hard on the lock button?  Or is it something else?  I wonder if keeping a couple fat rubber bands on each side of the ring might help protect it from getting bumped inadvertently during shots. . .