Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D500 Focus working in Live View but not via View finder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

topcatraveller

topcatraveller

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I know this is going to make me look rather silly but have had a new D500 for a 3 weeks but despite going through the manual and watching a couple of You Tube tutorials I'm having hassle with the auto focus.

When in Live view looking at the monitor at the back of the camera, AF-S and AF-C works fine when I move the camera around, but when I switch to the view finder AF-C does not work at all (even though selected) while AF-S tries to focus but is off focus. Have tired AF fine tune and setting it up with back focus while I can select the various modes/focus area's etc no problem.

Guess I have a setting miss set somewhere as if it was a auto focus fault it wouldn't work fine in live?

Help, its driving me bonkers!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Not sure I follow...If I understand correctly, when you have Live View turned off, you look through the viewfinder, press part way down on the shutter and the camera doesn't focus using AF-C or AF-S?  Does it even change focus when pointed at different distances?  Does it do this with all lenses or just one? I assume the lens or lenses are autofocus lenses set to AF vs. Manual?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
See the other post

D500 AF question - Technical Troubleshooting - NikonForums.com

With an answer by Peter

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
I've been using my d500 with af-s nikon 35mm 1.8 lens
For couple months. .Never experienced any problems in live view!
Last month I purchased a sigma 300mm 2.8,weeks later I've tried to calibrate this lens.Look what I noticed
When I switched my camera in live view I tried to auto focus and It didn't work (using the back af button)
I was changing settings from afs to afc but no luck
Seconds later I switched to viewfinder and the sigma was focusing like a pro
Hopefully I gave some peace of mind here
I'm my opinion my d500 doesn't have any issues

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Not the first time I have heard of autofocus issues with older sigma lenses on newer nikon bodies.

I had the same problem with the original 10-20mm.