Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon E Series 50mm 1.8 on my D3100

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

naltimar

naltimar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

If this has been thoroughly covered elsewhere, please forgive me and just redirect me. Thanks!

I have been shooting on a D3100 for a couple of years. I don't have a need for upgrading as I generally just take pics of my kids. I recently purchased a Nikon 50mm 1.8 Series E (pancake?) lens. Its in great shape. I've scoured the web for detailed how-to guides for manually adjusting the aperture and focus on a camera that won't show metering. The D31000 also doesn't have than handy non-cpu-lens menu option. So...

Can someone direct me to a comprehensive guide for how to make those manual adjustments on use such a lens on such a body?

Bonus points if these directions are directed toward the dumbest person you know.

thanks!

Naltimar

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4243.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You will have to guesstimate a basic exposure, take a photo and check the histogram to correct for the next one. Don't try to get the screen brightness "correct" to judge exposure as that correct brightness will vary with the ambient light. Here is an article I found by a quick google search on reading and using the histogram.

A good rule of thumb is the sunny 16 rule. In bright sun, the correct exposure will be in the region of f/16 and a shutter speed of 1/the ISO value. For example, ISO 200 would give 1/200s. If you want to use f/11 instead, the shutter speed will be 1/400 as each full step in aperture lets in twice the amount of light compared to the step above it numerically.

You will soon get the hang of it and see light levels well enough to get at least close to correct exposures most of the time. 

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I have this same lens and speaking only from my own experience with it, it is difficult to get what I want from it, mounted on my Nikon digital camera.  Of course, everything is manual i,e. focus and shutter must be on M.  For me, the only way to use it is outdoors on bright, sunny days and even then I am limited to shutter speeds of 1/30s and below.  There is no using the onboard flash or a Speedlight.  Overall, it is just too much work to have to manipulate the lens to do something acceptable.  The reason I am hanging on to the lens is I am looking for a Nikon 35mm SLR film camera as I am interested in getting back into black and white photography.  Again, this has been my experience with it, so just for the sake of expediency, I now consider the lens to be incompatible with my Nikon digital camera.  Hope this helps.

tony

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Ah, where is that old Kodak Master Photo Guide when you need it?

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

There are light meter apps for smartphones that take lots of the initial guesswork away. It might be worth trying some of the free ones.

• Ron likes this