Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lenses from a Nikon 6006

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DBE1

DBE1

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello, I'm new. I inherited a 6006 with three lenses a Nikon 35-70 af , a sigma 70-300 and a sigma 135mm. Right now I don't have a way to test these lenses, but just shining a light through them they look clean and adjust smoothly. I would like to try my hand at some macro photography. So is it worth trying to find a camera body that would work with these? Or just start over. What bodies would work with these? Any help would be appreciated and I would be a beginner.

Thanks

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

For autofocus to work with those lenses you need a body with an AF motor in the body. The D7xxx series are the cheapest relatively modern bodies that do so. Some old Sigma lenses don't work with modern bodies as the communication protocol Sigma reverse-engineered wasn't complete. Why not start by getting a battery and a roll of film for the N6006, shoot some and have the film scanned by the lab? Then you will know if the lenses work at all.

DBE1

DBE1

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks, I called KEH and talked to them, and after explaining where I was at and what I had we decided that a "like new" D7000 would fill my needs for now and I could upgrade to better lenses later. They also suggested I get a 18 to 55 for my wide angle that I lose because of the dx format. I'm on a waiting list for that lense. I will likely replace the others also. Now I'm reading about the d7000 functions
The 6006 has seen better days but I did find some film to try it's getting hard to find now.

nikdood17

nikdood17

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm not so sure at to just how "macro" any of your lenses are. Might be a problem if you want to photograph a gnat's ear.

DBE1

DBE1

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
A reason to upgrade

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

One nice thing you get by going with the D7000 is the ability to meter the light with Ai and Ais manual focus lenses. This lets you use the cheap and *very* sharp 55/3.5 and 105/4 MicroNikkors.

DBE1

DBE1

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey, thanks i'll check KEH for those.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If you want to get an idea about how they render, I used the 55/3.5 the week ending February 5 and the 105/4 the week ending April 23 on my D700 and the w/e March 19 on my D300 in the One week... minichallenges. 

DBE1

DBE1

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
I'll check those out